New Discussion юеВ

Re: extending / fs

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lai Nee Shyang_1
Frequent Advisor

extending / fs

Hi,

I believe this is an old question. Sorry to bring it up again. How can I extend the / filesystem. If I have Advance JFS , can I do it while the system is runing ?

Thanks.

Lai
If it doesn't work, We'll make it work. If it works, We'll make it work better.
5 REPLIES 5
Scott Van Kalken
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

This is relatively easy

you extend the logical volume that / is on

this is usually /dev/vg00/lvol3

so if you wanted to make it 900 GB you'd do

lvextend -L 900 /dev/vg00/lvol3

(not that you'd need it to be 900MB)

Once that's done, you would extend the actual filesystem.

this is done with the fsadm command.

Document #UFSKBRC00006800 will tell you how to do it.

however, you may not need to extend the logical volume at all.

You should first check how much space is left on vg00 with a vgdisplay vg00 | grep Free

This will return the number of Free physical extents on the volume group.

However, in answer to your question on fsadm, the document above tells you how to do it.

The only thing is, it's pretty rare that you need to extend the root filesystem, if it's because it's getting full, look for causes rather than just extending it. If it's because of an upgrade or software install, or some other reason, then go your hardest. :)

Scott.
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The root filesystem or / *must* be contiguous and therefore cannot be extended in the normal way. It has to be done by creating an Ignite (make recovery tape) and then booting off it similar to a normal installation, extending the size of the volume. In the links below there are discussions on this very issue. In the second post make note of the comments made by Bill Hassell.

HTH
-Michael

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x27fe660142b2d5118ff10090279cd0f9,00.html

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x43b2e7613948d5118fef0090279cd0f9,00.html
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Scott Van Kalken
Esteemed Contributor

oh bugger

you're right michael.

oops.

Don't let *ME* near a unix box.
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Hi Scott,

It must be all those lonely nights playing with OmniBack Databases that's done it....

:^))

-Michael
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Lai,

You cannot extend the size of three filesystems, /, swap (lvol2) and /stand because these need contiguous blocks. So if you want to increase the size of any of these three lv's you should take a ignite backup and then reinstall the OS to resize these lv's. You can however increase the size of any other filesystem without any problem online, without unmounting the lv.

Hope this helps.

Regds