108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: fbackup::append

SOLVED
Go to solution
mehul_3
Regular Advisor

fbackup::append

Is there any way to apending a backup to previous one using fbackup? I learned from various sites that there is now way to perform it.
But, still there might be some alternative to do it.
It would be useful to do oracle online backup directly to tape rather than disk due to space constraint.
Waiting for reply..

Regards
Mehul
10 REPLIES 10
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

There's no way I know of to append with fbackup. fbackup will always rewind the tape before the backup starts.
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

Hi Mehul,
I dont believe it possible since fbackup writes at the beginning of the tape what it will backup... that in the mans it is said to not use no rewind devices...
I wonder if you are not confusing with pax (used in make_recovery...) do a man of pax to see it this will solve your problem...

All the best
Victor
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

Hi again...
What do you mean by: "It would be useful to do oracle online backup directly to tape rather than disk due to space constraint."
What kind of backup are you talking of? exports?
What OS version, oracle vers? (and you do have OnlineJFS...)

Depending on what you are willing to do there may be a few possibilities...

All the best
Victor
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

fbackup explicitly prevents appending by always rewinding before starting a backup. Unlike primitive tools like tar and cpio, fbackup creates a complete index at the beginning of each tape. If appending were allowed, there would be no way to know if more than one backup was on the tape. As most sysadmins can attest, an undocumented tape is a very scary situation. All commercial backup tools have a similar requirement. Another feature of a front-end index is that multiple tapes per backup are easily useable and any file can be located in a few minutes.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
mehul_3
Regular Advisor

I have been taking hot oracle backup(begin backup ... end backup) and OS vesrion is HP-UX11i with oracle9.2.0.1.0

Regards,
Mehul
Patti Johnson
Respected Contributor
Solution

fbackup will not copy open files, and that is what you have with user managed hot backups in Oracle.

Rman backups would allow you to go directly to tape, and also allow for incremental backups which are not an option for you now.

If rman is not a possibility, you may consider zipping the files to a disk location during your hot backup, then using fbackup to go to tape. You would need space equal to about 25% the size of you database to hold the compressed files.
Patti
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi mehul,

If you want to backup directly to tape, you will need a media manager installed and configured in Oracle RMAN.

see also metalink Note:103026.1 - Oracle Library File Installation for Legato Networker on UNIX Platforms

kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
mehul_3
Regular Advisor

Yes, i am somewhat proficient in RMAN but is it possible to directly on TAPE because I learned that there should be a special software needed(e.g Media Management library).
Is in this case(ie in HP-UX11i)I suppose, it suffice the requirement without installing MML.

Waiting for reply.
Rgds,
Mehul
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi mehul,

Yes, to backup to tape, you need media manager software installed.

RMAN on it's own will only backup to disk. If you want to backup directly to tape, you will need a media manager installed and configured.

For information on a list of Media Management Vendor Partners, go to:

http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/availability/htdocs/bsp.htm

hope this helps!
kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)