New Discussion юеВ

group id for oracle install

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

group id for oracle install

Hi all,

what is the default (if any) group number for the oracle user account when installing oracle on hp-ux ?

Or are you asked to specify when installing (any default?) and its up to the installed to pick a group id number ?

Thanks.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
8 REPLIES 8
Helen French
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: group id for oracle install

hey,

i don't think there will be a specific group id for oracle. The group name is 'dba' normally.

I have 3 systems, right now and i have checked all of them. The group ids are: 101, 106 and 500. I assume this as the system assigned gid when the group was created !

HTH,
Shiju
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Stefan,

Think primary group for oracle is "dba"

Thanks
Ian Dennison_1
Honored Contributor

Primary Group for Oracle is 'dba' and I believe it is traditionally set to GID 102.

Having talked to the DBAs about this last week, they say you can change the UID and GIDs on an existing Oracle instance, but it requires a recompile.

If you are doing a fresh install, you should be able to set the GID to anything you like.

Share and Enjoy! Ian
Building a dumber user
Christopher Caldwell
Honored Contributor

From the installation manual:

o Create UNIX Groups for Database Administrators
o Create a UNIX Group for the Oracle Universal Installer Inventory

I use dba and oinstall.

Pick GIDs you can sync across systems, especially if you're using service guard.

I suppose you could use fred and biff for the group names if you wanted (i.e. the name is only meaningful to you).
Deshpande Prashant
Honored Contributor

HI
I also do not think Oracle specifies the GID.
"dba" and "oinstall" are common oracle groups on my machines. The GID is more site specific.
We follow all system/function group ids in 5xx series.

Thanks.
Prashant.
Take it as it comes.
Thierry Poels_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

what is the default (if any) group number for the oracle user account when installing oracle on hp-ux ?
- Most commonly used user and group are oracle:dba and oracle:oinstall. But they can be chosen at will, for example if you want to play around with separate installations on one server. As far as I know there are no UID or GID standards; this is purely OS, Oracle doesn't worry about this.

Or are you asked to specify when installing (any default?) and its up to the installed to pick a group id number ?
- As said above, this is purely OS matter. User and group need to be defined upfront. Oracle installation will only ask which user and group you want to use.

regards,
Thierry.
All unix flavours are exactly the same . . . . . . . . . . for end users anyway.
Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor

Stefan,

basicly the numeric ID does not have to be a specific one, but it has to stay the same after Oracle is linked.

I.e. as far as I remember you specify "dba", but Oracle compiles the numeric ID, so if you change the ID, but stay with the name "dba" I think it will not work correctly.

In addition, if you use it on a cluster the choosen group should also be numericly the same on all involved cluster nodes.
Otherwise the problem would be, that the group ID changes when you switch the filesystem over to another node.

In 90% you install oracle directly after the OS-install, so if the installation creates the groups and users, you find the group "dba" frequently being 101 or 102.

Volker

Tracey
Trusted Contributor

Mine are:

dba: 102
oinstall: 103

I didn't assign them, they were the first ones created after the machine had the OS installed. And as someone pointed out, if you have more than one machine that is involved, you need to make sure that in your user creation on the additional machines, that you assign the gid and the uid as the original machine.