1752467 Members
5962 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: how to rman catalog database?

刘绍江
Occasional Advisor

how to rman catalog database?

I am using Oralce817 on HPUX system, and using rman (catalog mode)backup the target database. But I never maintain the catalog database.
Could you give me the scrip which you are using to maintain the catalog database?

By the way, are there 'delete obsolete' command in ORACLE8.1.7 version? if yes, What is the differece bwteen 'delete expired backup' and 'delete obsolete'?

I am facing a problem, It will take very long time to get output when I use 'list backup' command.

Thank you in advance.
6 REPLIES 6
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

everything is documented at: http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96566/toc.htm

have a look

kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi again,

about obsolete backups, you can find the script rman1.sh in the $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/demo

directory, which lists such obsolete backups, creates delete script and executes it.

hope this helps too!

kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
刘绍江
Occasional Advisor

but my oracle environment is oralce8.1.7.4.
could you also give me some adivse on it?
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Refer to the Note:125303.1 â Maintaining V8.0 and V8.1 RMAN Repositoryâ in metalink.

This bulletin includes the following topics:
1. Registering a Database with the Recovery Catalog
2. Unregistering a Database from the Recovery Catalog
3. Resetting the Recovery Catalog
4. Changing the Availability of a Backup or File Copy
5. Crosschecking the RMAN Repository
6. Deleting Backups and Copies and Updating Their Status in the RMAN Repository
7. Validating the Restore of Backups and Copies
8. Resynchronizing the Recovery Catalog
9. Managing Records in the Control File
10. Cataloging Operating System Backups
11. Backing Up and Recovering the Recovery Catalog
This document describes how to manage the RMAN information repository. It assumes that you are using a recovery catalog. If you use a control file as the exclusive repository for RMAN metadata, then most RMAN maintenance commands continue to work.
It mainly focuses on procedures valid in the Oracle 8i releases, however, it shows differences which concerns the Oracle 8.0.x. It is intended for all users regardless level of RMAN experience, since a repository maintenance issue is important in the RMAN backup and recovery practices.

Indira A

Never give up, Keep Trying
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi,

What is the differece between 'delete expired backup' and 'delete obsolete

The term obsolete does not mean the same as expired. A backup or copy is obsolete when REPORT OBSOLETE or DELETE OBSOLETE determines, based on the user-defined retention policy, that it is not needed for media recovery. A backup or copy expires only when RMAN performs a crosscheck and sees either that the file is missing from disk or that the media manager has returned "Not found" for the file. In short, obsolete means "not needed," whereas expired means "not found."

Using the retention polices that can be configured in Oracle9i you can issue the simple 'delete obsolete' command to remove all backups that exceed your retention policy with the single command.

In Oracle8i the $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/demo/rman1.sh is provided for automation of catalog maintenance. This script requires some manual changes though. It's internalized in 9i with 'delete obsolete'.

Indira A
Never give up, Keep Trying
Simon Wickham_6
Regular Advisor

Creating rman database;
I have done the following steps:

sqlplus system/passwd@instance
sqllus
/ as sysdba
SQL> create tablespace rcvcat datafile
2 '/u01/app/oracle/oradata/db1/rcvcat_1.dbf' size 20m;