1753506 Members
5086 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

hpux 11.00 Fails to boot and hangs @ pdc

ecorban
Frequent Advisor

hpux 11.00 Fails to boot and hangs @ pdc

When i dis-connect my N-Class server 5158A hba from a san and plug it into another port on the switch and reboot it zoned with different storage.(storage types are va7400/xp512 and xp256) The problem is that the machine fails to boot. What is the safest way for re-building the /stand/ioconfig file, this is where it hangs and it forever stays in the PDC and then system failure and reboots. The only way i found it to come back up is to dis-=-connect it from the SAN and it comes back up ok but with no storage.

What i want to do is figure out a way to update/change the /stand/ioconfig file everytime my h/w path change to storage. I run the ioinit -c and ask it to overwrite the /etc/ioconfig file but the host just does'nt seem to want to come back up.
2 REPLIES 2
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

Re: hpux 11.00 Fails to boot and hangs @ pdc

Have you tried running "ioinit -c" during the system bootup ? Basically let the system recreate ioconfig file when it boots up.

1) Rename /etc/ioconfig and /stand/ioconfig with extension say ".save"
2) Reboot the system. It will come up to ioinitrc and give this message:-
/sbin/ioinitrc /etc/ioconfig missing. Restore it from backup or invoke /sbin/ioinit -c to recreate it from kernel.
3) Ib the ioinitrc prompt run the "ioinit -c".
(in ioinitrc) # /bin/ioinit -c
(in ioinitrc) # ^d
4) Wait till the system comes back up to multi-user mode.
Tom Geudens
Honored Contributor

Re: hpux 11.00 Fails to boot and hangs @ pdc

Hi,
Can you interrupt the boot (at the 10 second question) ? Try booting in maintenance mode.
BO PRI
Interact with IPL ? Y
ISL>hpux -lm

From there you should be able to recreate everything you need.

Hope this helps,
Tom Geudens
A life ? Cool ! Where can I download one of those from ?