Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

import error IMP-00058: ORACLE error 1461 encountered

Norman Dignard
Regular Advisor

import error IMP-00058: ORACLE error 1461 encountered

Oracle 10gR2 on HPUX 11i. Back eend db for Remedy
Original db setup: Locale not set (default C)
Oracle NLS_LANG american_america.we8iso8859p1
DB Char set - WE8ISO8859P1, National Char - AL16UTF16, nls_length_semantics - char

We had a problem with french chars not being saved to db from client/web app. We could not change language sets as csscan had too many errors to do the change so we created a dmp, dropped the db and recreated it with:

At the OS level – set LANG and LC_ALL = en_US.UTF
Oracle account NLS_LANG =american_america.we8iso8859p1 (unchanged)
On db creation – char set = AL32UTF8, National Char = AL16UTF16 and nls_lenght_semantics=CHAR

Ran the import on the dump but I'm getting the following errors
on a few tables:
. . importing table "T176"
IMP-00058: ORACLE error 1461 encountered
ORA-01461: can bind a LONG value only for insert into a LONG column
IMP-00028: partial import of previous table rolled back: 139 rows rolled back

The tables have a few columns of varchar2 (4000 char). I tried to change them to LONG but got the same error.

Any help welcome.
4 REPLIES
Ben Dehner
Trusted Contributor

Re: import error IMP-00058: ORACLE error 1461 encountered

This error message implies you were trying to insert an inappropriate data type into a column, either a LONG value into a non-LONG column, or the other way around. Did you manually re-create the table(s) before the import, or did you let the import process create the table?

Also, you shouldn't have to switch to Unicode for French characters. The Latin1 set WE8ISO8859P1 should be fine.
Trust me, I know what I'm doing
Norman Dignard
Regular Advisor

We had blown away the db and re-installed the app (Remedy AR server) which created the tablespace and populated the tables.
We then did a truncate on the tables and are now trying to re-import the data from the dmp file.

The first install of AR server we spec'd to not use unicode. On this install, we spec'd to use unicode.

I tried changing the varchar2(4000 char) columns to LONG but got the same error on import. I then changed them to LONG RAW but on import I now get a 1465 err - invalid hex number.

Norman Dignard
Regular Advisor

created db with WE8MSWIN1252 as app would not store french char otherwise.
Import dmps went fine.
chi.zhang
Valued Contributor

hi pal:

regarding:

sqlExec error: sqlcode=1461 message=ORA-01461: can bind a LONG value only for insert into a LONG column (se.base.method,add.record.radd)

how did u solved it?

thanks a lot.