1751768 Members
4777 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ipcs

Gopinath rao_1
Occasional Contributor

ipcs

i have a problem killing a database process (ora_dbwr).
the process does not get killed after shuting down the database.

ipcs and ipcrm does not kill the process .

any suggustion would help .....
4 REPLIES 4
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Re: ipcs

Hi Gopinath,

There is a good chance that this process is waiting for it's IO to complete (since this is a writer process).

Do a sar -d 2 20 and see if there are any abnormal activity. Particularly the disk that failed may appear with abnormal wait times and %used. Your /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log can give you more information. Search for PV or SCSI errors.

If that is the case, then you will need to fix the disk issue.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Rajeev  Shukla
Honored Contributor

First is you have to look at the reason why that particular process does not go down and release shared memory.
Through ipcs you can see the shared memory and kill that shared memory by ipcrm but it might show you as dead D__ this is because its waiting for system resources such as IO or waiting on some other process to die. So you might have to check which other dependent process are running which have blocked this shared memory from releasing.
Ok do one thing see what process is running by looking at the PID got from ipcs command.

Cheers
rajeev
Jakes Louw_1
Frequent Advisor

IMHO, I've seen this happen after experiencing h/w errors on disks. What happens is that the I/O semaphores queue waiting for the disk to respond, which it obviously does not do. The database writer will wait for an acknowledge which is never forthcoming. This is usually on raw devices, though. Filesystem databases shouldn't do this, as the I/O is synchronous.
Dietmar Konermann
Honored Contributor

Pls post the "ps -el" output of the process in question.
"Logic is the beginning of wisdom; not the end." -- Spock (Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country)