New Discussion юеВ

Re: maxdsiz Vs Maxdsiz_64bit

SOLVED
Go to solution
Praveen Bezawada
Respected Contributor

maxdsiz Vs Maxdsiz_64bit

Hi
On a L2000 machine which can have only 64 bit kernel. When values of maxdsiz and maxdsiz_64bit are different. Is it the maxdsiz_64bit that is used. Am I correct ?

Thanks in advance
...BPK...
9 REPLIES 9
Eugen Cocalea
Respected Contributor

Hi,

I suppose it depends on the program. If the program is 32-bit it uses the 32bit variable and same with the 64-bit programs.

E.
To Live Is To Learn
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Hi,
maxdsize shows the OS size(64) when the databases are loaded such DB2/oracle these applications read maxdsize, if it is 32 appilications load it's 32 bit version. if maxdsize is 64 application loaded will be of 64 bits.
never give up
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Hi,

When there is a 32 bit bit application it
uses 'maxdsiz'. When there is a 64 bit
application is uses the other kernel
parameter 'maxtsiz_64bit'

HTH
-Michael
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Praveen Bezawada
Respected Contributor

Hi
But does L2000 which has a 64 bit kernel support 32 bit application.
David Navarro
Respected Contributor

Yes, you can run 32-bit applications. I think you will loose 3% performance aprox. doing that.
Eugen Cocalea
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Of course it supports 32bit apps.

E.
To Live Is To Learn
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Hi,praveen
yes, 32 bit applications run on L-1000 64 bit os. whereas in case of DB2/orcale while installing these applications(db2/oracle) their 64 bit version will get installed. Like in hp-ux,same 11.0 os cd can be used in D class as well in L class. where as in D class 32 bit os will be installed whereas in L class 64 bit os will be installed.

later
ravi
never give up
Santosh Nair_1
Honored Contributor

Ravi,

Its not necessarily true that the 64-bit version of Oracle gets installed by default on a 64-bit system. We use a 32-bit version of Oracle and we have it installed on nearly 40 server...all running HPUX 11.0 64-bit.

We really don't have a need for the 64-bit version, i.e. larger memory support, etc, so we stuck with the 32-bit version.

-Santosh
Life is what's happening while you're busy making other plans
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Hi

When installing Oracle 64bit on a HP-UX 64 bit system, you'll still need to take into account the maxdsiz parameter. This is due to the fact that some of the Oracle executables used during the installation (and maybe later as well?) is 32 bit.

Andreas
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!