108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: mc/servicegaurd of RAC 9i

SOLVED
Go to solution
Shivkumar
Super Advisor

mc/servicegaurd of RAC 9i

Is mc/servicegaurd mandatory for configuring ADR (Advanced Data Replication) in oralce 9i or later ?
6 REPLIES 6
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Allthough not so sure but I think this is not mandatory. Reason being that even if the cluster is a must for oracle ADR then there are other options apart from service guard, from veritas and oracle.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

Hi,

ServiceGuard is not mandatory for ADR.

For a standby database you don't need MC/serviceguard
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Logically speaking, there is no direct relation of ADR with any OS cluster s/w, MC/SG in your case. The ADR works at database level across two or more different systems.

But under RAC environment, cluster s/w is deployed to provide H/W redudandacy besides database instance redundandcy and load balancing provided by RAC.
There is a product "Serviceguard Extension for RAC" for having "RAC Cluster" in case of HP-UX. So you have redundancy at both application and hardware level.
Shivkumar
Super Advisor

How come high availability work without operating system level cluster implementation ?
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi again,

When you say "High Availability", it is always achieved with combined implementation of hardware resources and OS cluster software. As a matter of fact, cluster s/w itself requires hardware resources put-up in a specific way for installation and operation.

In case of RAC , it provides redundancy at database/application level only. To have complete "High Availability" including redundancy at OS,hardware level, it has to have OS cluster software working alongwith it.
Chan 007
Honored Contributor

Shivkumar,

To be practical RAC or M/C SG or any cluster is not required to be bind together. The reason they are recommended is just to make the Job simpler.

Like RAC just updates Database related stuff, memory contents etc to the standby node. It does job only for the Oracle Database.

While the SG will take charge of RAC and other applications and file systems mounting etc very smoothly. We have such instance running. It works better in SG. Also you can have monitoring script integrated to the SG. Which makes like easier than the RAC and the oracle scripts.

Finally it make very easy from SA point of view.

Cheers ...007.