4099 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

memory and Informix Online 7.10ud3

CSP_ALGERIA
Frequent Advisor

memory and Informix Online 7.10ud3

hello,
I have a RP8400 with hp-ux 11i and 8Go of memory.

I can run informix Online 7.10 with only 700Mo of memory not more why?

what parameters in the kernel can i change for this?

thanks for all.
Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
6 REPLIES 6
James Murtagh
Honored Contributor

Re: memory and Informix Online 7.10ud3

Hi,

I'd imagine you are talking about the shared memory segment size. You will need to increase "shmmax" if that is the case.

For the tunable parameter reference for 11i see here:

http://www.docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/TKP-90202/TKP-90202.html

Regards,

James.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Most likely, your bersion of Informix is only a 32bit application and therefore, local data as well as shared memory is severely limited. As mentioned shmmax should be increased in the kernel if the error message refers to an Informix shared memory segment, or maxdsiz if the error refers to local memory in the Informix application. Change both of these parameters to allow up to 1GB.

Beyond about 900 megs (shared or local memory), you'll need to relink the application to take advantage of two-quadrant addressing to go up to 1750 megs. NOTE: shared memory is limited because other applciations also use that memory for shared librares, memory mapped files and other shared memory segments. To guarentee up to 1750 megs of RAM, you'll need to use memory windows.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Zafar A. Mohammed_1
Trusted Contributor

First you have to check your Informix OnLine Configuration file parameter "SHMTOTAL" and other shared memory parameter also. For all the values you can check Informix Administrator Reference manual. If you can post Informix OnLine configuration file and /stand/system file also then we can findout more.

Thanks
Zafar
CSP_ALGERIA
Frequent Advisor

hello,

I use 1Go for Maxdsiz and shmmax but nothing.
can i use memory windows with Informix Online 7.10ud3?
thanks
Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Yes, memory windows is designed to work with 32 bit applications. You need to read the documentation at docs.hp.com. All programs that need to access shared memory for the Informix application must be started in the same memory window.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Zafar A. Mohammed_1
Trusted Contributor

If I am correct using Memory Window sometime get problems also.

Informix can handle without any problem more than 2GB shared memory even on Informix 32-bit. We used to run XPS-32 bit with 2.1GB Shared Memory and when we moved to XPS 64-bit we increased to 4GB shared memory. But you should have enough RAM to hold other Unix processes.

To better optimize Informix instance, I will first check how many concurrent users and buffers, logical logs etc. from database; because simply adding more memory doesn't solve always all the problems.

Thanks
Zafar