New Discussion юеВ

memory utilization advice

SOLVED
Go to solution
Elena Leontieva
Esteemed Contributor

memory utilization advice

Hi,

We had 4GB of RAM and 6GB of swap configured on N class. I monitored the situation for some time and figured that we want to add memory in order to get rid of swapping. So, 2GB has been added, now we have 6GB RAM, 6GB swap, swapmem_on=1. But the swapping is still here because my DBA did changes to Oracle ( increased SGA?) and we are back to where we were before memory upgrade in terms of swapping.

Any comments/advice?

Thanks in advance.
Elena.
12 REPLIES 12
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: memory utilization advice

Elena,

Approaching things from the simple side, can you get your DBA to change things back so you can at least see what effect your RAM increase had by itself and then tune from there?

Pete

Pete
Elena Leontieva
Esteemed Contributor

This is my swapinfo -tam output:
cocn03(root):/var/adm/perf> swapinfo -tam
Mb Mb Mb PCT START/ Mb
TYPE AVAIL USED FREE USED LIMIT RESERVE PRI NAME
dev 1024 0 1024 0% 0 - 1 /dev/vg00/lvol2
dev 1024 194 830 19% 0 - 0 /dev/vg00/lvol10
dev 4096 193 3903 5% 0 - 0 /dev/vg03/lvol1
reserve - 4825 -4825
memory 5044 654 4390 13%
total 11188 5866 5322 52% - 0 -

DBA is saying that the reserved area for the OS ( 4825mb from a total of 11188mb ) is significantly higher than Oracle's utilization, so that we should consider reducing the reserved area. My understanding is that reserved is needed for processes (not OS) and I have no control on how much goes in reserve.
Pete, I do not think we can go back, SGA is 1.7GB.

Elena.
doug mielke
Respected Contributor

Assuming you're running 64 bit Oracle. (otherwise SGA limit is around 2 gig) you could consider lowering (very low) your disk buffers. If the SGA is large, you may not need them, since Oracle will keep them in memory anyway.

We've seen great improvements when raising SGA. (I wonder if the improvement is enough to tolorate the swapping)
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

It is possible that you are running dynamic buffer cache and the default value of 50% is in play. 11.11 boxes typically perform best when buffer cache is limited to about 800-1200MB; 11.0 boxes typically optimize at somewhere between 400-800 MB -- and that is generous. Tune your kernel accordingly. My preference is to hard set the buffer cache by setting bufpages to a non-zero value but that's just my blind and simple approach. Silly me, I actually bother to measure these things.

If this were me, I would reduce shmmax so that the DBA can't pull this stunt again -- at least without letting you know beforehand.

I can absolutely assure you that any gains the DBA might have thought he achieved by increasing his cache are more than offset (by about 2 orders of magnitude) by the penalty of swapping.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Elena Leontieva
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

It is 11.00. Buffer cache is hard set to 9.8MB (nbuf = 0, bufpages = 2400). I wish I can understand how he grabbed the memory.

Elena.
Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor

Elena,

is this a standalone database server or is there additional application server software on it ? If yes, what (i.e. SAP ?)

If not, how many clients connect to the database and are these connections either handed by dedicated or multithreaded server processing ?

Check the output of top for the number of oracleSID processes and allocated memory for each process. Also compare the number to

select count(*) form v$session;

If they are close and high, you run dedicated and may consider to change to multithreaded configuration, which will reduce the number of oracle processes and the related process/context switching on OS level. Check your application documentation, if this change is permitted (with SAP it is not !).

Hope this helps
Volker
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

9.8MB of buffer cache is much too small. That doesn't allow much buffer for often used files. I would increase it to at least 200MB (bufpages=51200) and double that would not be bad at all.

The way he can "grab" all that memory is that he is allowed to. You as sysadmin can limit his per process grabs by restricting maxdsiz, maxdsiz_64bit, (and to a lesser extent) maxssiz and maxssiz_64bit, and shmmax.

You can restrict those values (it's probably just shmmax) and when he attempts to start the database he will fail and be forced to reduce his init.ora parameters.
Elena Leontieva
Esteemed Contributor

It is Oracle 8.1.7 and a purchasing application (KPMG) on top of it.

shmmax = 1700000000
maxdsiz=maxdsiz_64bit=1073741824

and were setup this way as per DBA request at the Oracle/application upgrade.

Elena.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Your shmmax is 1.7GB so you can't support many large instances without swapping. There is nothing wrong with even much larger shmmax settings as long as you don't have users which abuse memory usage. NEVER listen to DBA's about memory usage; his comment about the reserve swap area being for the OS is a prime example. Reserve is not reserved for the OS but rather memory that might be needed by currently running processes but has not yet been allocated from one of the swap areas.

The fundamental answer to your problem is:
1) add more memory
2) reduce the current SGA usage
3) reduce the number of currently running processes
4) tolerate the swapping.

Any combination of the above can apply but 4) would be my least favorite.