1753943 Members
9148 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: migration of large oracle database from 7.3 to 8i

joe clark
Advisor

migration of large oracle database from 7.3 to 8i

I am in the process of moving a large oracle app onto a V-2500 running 11.0 connected to
an EMC 3700 using powerpath. I had 2 questions
should I span the database and or the filesystems across 4 hypervolumes per vg group,
or establish a seperate vg per hypervolume so
the active db tables don't clash with each other. 2nd question was has anyone see performance improvement with any changes to the kernel or vxfs configuration or else where to improve oracle performance.
2 REPLIES 2
Mott Given
Frequent Advisor

Another site doing the same type of Oracle database upgrade benefited significantly from making changes in the ncsize and ninode kernel parameters, that were modified as follows:

Previous Current
ninode 27808 10000
ncsize NINODE + VX_NCSIZE 4096

Mott Given, Defense Logistics Agency
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Best vxfs options I've found for all oracle data and indexes except redo logs and archive logs is convosync=direct,mincache=direct,dalaylog,nodatainlog (this bypasses the unix buffering and gives all the advantages of raw devices). Redo logs and archive logs should be mounted delaylog,datainlog.
Because almost all of the buffering in now done in the SGA you can reduce the amount of
unix buffers. I find best results by turning
off dynamic buffer cache and setting bufpages to about 80000 (320 MB) on a machine with a large amount of memory.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.