New Discussion юеВ

Re: mirror problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Domenico_5
Respected Contributor

mirror problem

Hi guys

I have a proble with a boot mirror disk. I'm patching a 11.00, but before to do this I want to boot from primary and mirror.
I have interrupt mirror (lvremove), export the secondary disk from vg00 (vgreduce), rebooted in maintenance for recreate the vg00 structure on a secondary disk, but when i start from this disk... AAARRGG!!! doesn't boot.
The server read the kernel (vmunix) but when it try to mount all file system, all crash.

I have to do this many and many times, with good result, but now it don't work.

some one have same tip and trick for do this??

tnx
5 REPLIES 5
James Murtagh
Honored Contributor

Hi Domenico,

I really am not sure what you are doing here. The explainations your are giving and the commands you are stating do not relate.

Do you

a) Just want to test you can boot from either path
b) Are trying to split the mirrors in case the patch install doesn't work
c) Trying to create an independant boot disk

I won't give explainations on how to do all three before you let me know which one (if any) you are trying to do, but all I will say your best bet on resilence in to take an Ignite backup of the system and install the patches as normal. HP don't recommend even splitting the mirrors as this creates a lot of adminstration issues - you would be better off just pulling one of the disks out (again not recommended).

Regards,

James.
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

What do you mean by you wanting to boot from primary and mirror ??

can you post the instructions you executed (whole line)??

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor
Solution

IMO, if you were trying to protect yourself form a potential patch installation failure, you would have been better off using ignite and create a make_tape_recovery tape, and not mess with the mirrors.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Domenico_5
Respected Contributor

hi guys

I want to protect myself form a potential patch installation failure.

So from a disk (vg00) with mirror I want to create two boot disk and select first or second from boot (ipl).
Ignite is the corret answer, but with this tool you aren't protect at 100%.

Now I have solved the problem creating a ignite and restore it on a second disk ( in this moment). But the question is why I cant brack a mirror a recreate a vg00 structure on it? I have done this because is very quick the ignite (if work) and for the first time the procedure doesn't work!! now i have all steps on a paper so i can't send it, but monday i can post.

I don't want other way for to do this but understand why doesn't work.
So if you have same not documented information about lvm
Clemens van Everdingen
Honored Contributor

Hi,

In this thread I have given a complete solution with all steps to create/recreate mirror after using an ignite recovery.

This will be very usefull in recreating your mirror.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x01465c7609e9d61190050090279cd0f9,00.html

C.
The computer is a great invention, there are as many mistakes as ever, but they are nobody's fault !