1751786 Members
5016 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: move database from 32 bit to 64 bit

Ingo Duschl
Frequent Advisor

move database from 32 bit to 64 bit

Hello, i want to transfer our database 8.1.7 32 bit fom a hp-UX11i 32 bit to a new machine with hp-ux11i 64 bit and oracle 8.1.7 64 bit.
i got the new machine running with UX and Oracle 8.1.7 without any database. and i got a export from the old machine ( 32bit ). the oracle mount points (u00/...) on the new system are not quite the same, can i adjust them in the export and can i do an import or must th├Г┬йre be any converting from 32 to 64 bi
5 REPLIES 5
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

have a look at metalink note:Note:99206.1 - HP-UX: Migrate/Upgrade of Oracle on HP-UX.

regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
twang
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Install oracle 8.1.7.4 64 nit on hp-ux11i 64 bit first. Move datafiles from source server to the target server. Of course you must recreate control file to reflect new locations of datafiles. And important thing is to change the word size from 32 to 64 bit by running $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlirp.sql

regards tommy

Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

No convert needed. The 64-bitness is reflected in the running code (large SGA!) only. There is no on-disk difference.

You can just to the import as you have planned. If you choose to do so, please consider to also upgrade Oracle to a more recent version?! 9.2?

You may also want to consider a straight DB file copy over the network (piped through compress of course). Or if that is an option, move some disk connections around.
As replied earlier, unless you managed to re-create the exact same filenames you may need some 'alter database rename ...' or 'create controlfile ...' to deal with new places.

Hein.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Sorry I did not read the original question precisely enough:

> the oracle mount points (u00/...) on the new system are not quite the same, can i adjust them in the export and can i do an import

The mount points are isolated from the end users and imports through the tablespace mapping. The import just mentions tablespaces, not files or mountpoints. So as long as you created all the tablespaces you are good to go for the import. It would not matter what mountpoints you picked on the newe system. No rename / adjust needed. (nad still no convert needed).

Hein.
Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor

Hein,

The export/import does have a record of the tablespaces and datafiles. In the event that you do not build one of the tablespaces, it will create it with the previous datafile locations.

It is not possible to modify this though. The tablespace has to be created before the import is run if the datafiles need to be in a different location or under a different name.

I would also recommend taking an online backup and restoring it instead, and then changing the wordsize.

Thanks,

Brian