1753767 Members
5693 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: new 8400, need 2 hard partitions

Aaron_4
Advisor

new 8400, need 2 hard partitions

Well we just recieved a 8400 with 4 full cells. The system came with 1 partition with all 4 cells in it. I removed cells 1,2,3 and want to make another partition. Would I want to use cell 1 and 3 for the second partition and add 2 back to the first partition or something else?
awmorris
5 REPLIES 5
Marco Santerre
Honored Contributor

When it comes to the partition, I'm no expert, but I don't think you have much of a choice where you MUST use cell 0 and cell 1 as your two partitions and then you can add cell 2 and 3 to whichever partition you like.

Cooperation is doing with a smile what you have to do anyhow.
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

That is entirley dependant upon what you want the partitions ot do, and whether you want each partition to have 2 cells each.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Aaron_4
Advisor

I want 2 partitions with 2 cells each.

thanks
awmorris
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi Aaron,

You can have 2 partitions with 2 cells.

However only cell0 and cell1 are core capable cells. Do a "parstatus" and observe the output.

Since you already have the OS setup, it is easy to setup the other partition. Use 'parmgr' and take out cell1 and cell 3 and create a new partition.

-Sri

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Well to create a partition, you must have a core I/O card.
So as cell0 and cell1 each have one, hen your base partition, 0, must have cell0 and cell2 or 3.
Then partition 1 must have cell1 and cell3 or 2, depending on which one you used in partition 0
Take a look at:
http://docs.hp.com/hpux/pdf/5187-3603.pdf

particularly Chapter 2
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!