1752578 Members
4453 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

oracle 8.1.7 installation (2xCDROMs)

Neale Machin
Advisor

oracle 8.1.7 installation (2xCDROMs)

We are about to upgrade to oracle 8.1.7 on all our db's. However whilst testing we have hit a slight snag . Oracle 8.1.7 is on 2 CDROMS and does not release the cd when it requests the second CD so we cannot pfs_umount it. We have managed to create a partition temporarily to hold DISK1 and DISK2 and this appears to work for the installation. Surely there must be an easier way?. Anyone got any suggestions
Thanks in advance Mark
Just cos I look after Unix Boxes doesnt mean I wear sandals
9 REPLIES 9
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: oracle 8.1.7 installation (2xCDROMs)

Neale Machin
Advisor

James,
Thanks for the link but on the link it states that you use pfs_umount when requested to load the other CD unfortunately that doesnt work because it say the device is busy. Hence my problem
Mark
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

Hi Mark

There are 2 issues .

1. To mount the second CD. Here since the installation is started from the cdrom directory so the user oracle is still there in thte cd mount directory . To unmount you need to change the directory back to some other directory and then only you can unmount it.

2. The CD is not ejecting after it is unmounted , here u need to do ps -aef | grep pfs and then kill the pfs processes starting with the least no and then the next higher value of the pfs. Be careful to this since a wrong sequence will hange the pfs mount and u will need to reboot to get back and hence redo the install.

Manoj Srivastava
linuxfan
Honored Contributor

Hi Mark,

The first option ofcourse is to setup a filesystem which would hold both the disks.

The second option is to mount the CD on a Solaris/Linux machine and nfs mount it onto HP.
(Personally i hate using pfs on HP, its buggy, gives problems almost everytime. Not sure if there is a Service Request being worked on or not but I sincerely hope someday there will come a day when we won't have to use pfs ;-)

To tell you the truth i haven't tried the second option with 8.1.7(where we have 2 CDs )
but i think that would work.

-HTH
I am RU
They think they know but don't. At least I know I don't know - Socrates
Karen Elrod
Frequent Advisor

We had the same problem. If you run the runInstaller script from another filesystem it will allow the pfs_umount. For example cd to /oracle and issue the fully qualified command that you want to run such as /cdrom/runInstaller. The install script does not tie up the cd, you do because you are in it when you start it. Use another hp session to pfs_umount and mount the new cd, then continue the install from the original hp session.
Good luck,
Karen
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Just like any other mountpoint, if you cd into the directory (never recommended) then you cannot unmount it. Since pfs manages the CD differently than a normal CD or hard disk, the fuser command is not as effective. The best way to handle this is to avoid: cd /cdrom (or whatever the mounpoint might be). Otherwise, if the instructions require cd'ing into the CDROM, make sure you cd out before using pfs_umount.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Neale Machin
Advisor

Thanks,
we tried the first cos we thought it was because we were in the directory . So next try we'll go for the kill option and see if that works.
Nice of Oracle to make life easy for you isnt it.
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Hi
As long as I stay out of the mount point (/cdrom) issuing the runInstaller, I've never had problems releasing the disk from another session.

Andreas
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hello Mark,

are steps 4 and 5 not clear enough? I am talking about
the link that JRF is referring to...
So, DO NOT do that "cd /cdrom" to start Oracle8.1.7's
"runInstaller"!!!
And step 5) seemed pretty easy to me - tell us on how
to improve the description (but I am getting tired of
re-answering that question over and over again).

Just my $0.02,
Wodisch