108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: oracle and vpar

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bob Brown_1
Frequent Advisor

oracle and vpar

I heard from one of my hp reps that Oracle does NOT support running in a vpar. I find this hard to helieve. Can anyone shed any light on this?

We're looking to run oracle (probably 9i or 10g) on an 8400 with several vpars.

thanks!

-Bob
10 REPLIES 10
Frederic Sevestre
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

I never heard anything about such a restriction.
We have many databases on differents vpar and we never had any problem with the Oracle Support.

Regards,
Frederic
Crime doesn't pay...does that mean that my job is a crime ?
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

I just come back from a 6 month project, installing many Oracle 9iR2 DBs on a Superdome (HP-UX 11i). It was supported. I had need of them and they solved my problem.

Regards,

Fred
--

"Reality is just a point of view." (P. K. D.)
Bob Brown_1
Frequent Advisor

Any chance the issue is Oracle 10g? Maybe its not certified in vpar yet?

Or could this relate to oracle pricing...how do they price their s/w with dynamic vparing?

(switching cpu's in and out of a vpar running oracle)?

-Bob
Chris Fitzpatrick

Oracle is fully supported in both vpars and npars without question....

However, Oracle does not recognise vpars from a licensing perspective.

This is probably the source of your confusion.

Chris
Thierry Poels_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

we also have installed Oracle 9i in a vPar without issues.

regards,
Thierry.
All unix flavours are exactly the same . . . . . . . . . . for end users anyway.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

We are running Oracle 9i R2 on rp8400 vPars. I believe Oracle also has support for PRM and PSETs (Procesor sets -- so that when you dynamically allocate CPU's from one vPar to another.. you do not violate your Oracle CPU licensing.

So there you go.. the HP rep probably was unaware that Oracle is already Processor Sets (PSET/WLM) friendly..
Hakuna Matata.
Allan Umandap
Advisor

Hi Guys,

I need more clarifications on this issue. I recently installed 10g on HPUX 11.23 box. I have 8CPUs in my machine. I want to restrict 1CPU for 10g since i only want to buy 1CPU license. Is this possible?. I know you would say that vPar is an option, but in my case this is not possible. vPars are not yet supported in 11.23. So, guys how am i going to solve my problem.

Thanks..
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

This is an Oracle licensing issue, not a technical problem. So you would have to discuss this with Oracle. Recently Oracle has started to allow Oracle licenses to be allocated based on vPars.

You might be able to persuade Oracle to license you for one CPU now (restricted through for instance a processor set) and promise to migrate to some form of virtual partitions when those become available on Integrity servers next year.
Peter McKenzie_1

Reading the oracle documentation on this: http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/partitioning.pdf it seems that vPars are now supported by Oracle. The older version of this same document had vPars (and PRM) in the unacceptable soft partitioning category but vPars are now mentioned in the acceptable hard partitioning category but PRM is still mentioned in the soft partitioning section.

Still the definition of hard partitioning does not match the definition of HP vPars even though Oracle does explicitly list vPars in the hard partitioning section.

- Peter