4502 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: oracle clean install

Edgar_8
Regular Advisor

oracle clean install

Hi,

We will be clean installing HP-UX11i next week on a server which currently has an 817 Oracle DB.All
the DB datafiles are stored on an external XP256 storage array and will not be affected by O/S install.
After the clean install of Oracle 817 we will restore the backed up original Oracle config files(
init.ora;listener;tnsnames.ora etc.).Is the following still required:

1. can we then just startup the DB?
2. do we have to run the catproc.sql;catalog.sql etc?

Please advise.
8 REPLIES 8
twang
Honored Contributor

How about your database? Do you want to recreate a new instance or import the old one?
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

Just artup the DB.

Also make sure that the kernel parameters are tuned correctly.

Also make sure all the configuration directories are ok in the init.ora file i.e. path of the control file.

If you are to recreate the file system with the same name with same path to the Oralce files things are ok.

Else just do a

rename of datafiles

Thanks
Edgar_8
Regular Advisor

Hi,

Im not recreating the DB.Im clean installing the O/S therefore have to clean install Oracle. The DB datafiles will be left in tact!

Thanks.
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,
-
ensure that you are not accidentally overwriting any of the configuration or controlfiles.
I would do a "alter database backup controlfile to trace" and check it well - the paths of files.
-
"restore" the original configuration files and startup the database. This should work!
-
Above all, make sure you have a full backup of everything.
-
No need to run the catproc.sql, etc...
-
regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi again,
-
Make sure you have all the patches available (same/current) and again backup is very important.
regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Graham Cameron_1
Honored Contributor

So long as when you reinstall oracle on top of your shiny new hp-ux 11i, it is the same version you had before, *and* you have restored all required files (control files, oratab, etc) then I reckon all will be well.

No need to rerun any catalog scripts, as the database after the 11i upgrade will be exactly as before. catproc et al are used after new database creation.

And backup controlfile to trace as suggeseted above is always a good idea, so that if your new mountpoints differ from the old ones, you can recreate the control files and continue.

Good luck

-- Graham
Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things they make it easier to do don't need to be done.
Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor

Hi,

no prob, should work ...
Some pitfalls to consider:

Remember you will need to re-create the Users, so keep in mind to re-assign identically numeric IDs for UID and esp. GID of group "dba" !

You may change the UID if desired, but you will need to adjust the permissions on your re-mounted filesystem.

You may change the numeric GUI of "dba", which will require a re-link of Oracle, otherwise you will not be able to startup the DB, becaus of invalid group id.

Oh, and a funny one: If your database has been created by using the original starter-database, be sure you do NOT choose to create one upon the new install of oracle :-)
*** real life experience ***

If the machine has experienced successive hardware extensions in the past, you may see changes concerning the LUNs of i.e. controllers and/or LAN-Adapters, because the Luns are assigned sequential related to the hardware path. Now if a new controller had been added at a lower hardwarepath the devicefiles will switch !
/dev/dsk/c4t0d0 may become /dev/dsk/c3t0d0 !
You might need to deal with this when you reimport the VGs.

Good luck
Volker
R. Allan Hicks
Trusted Contributor

don't forget /etc/oratab /opt/oracle and /usr/local/bin/coraenv, /usr/local/bin/dbhome and /usr/local/bin/oraenv
"Only he who attempts the absurd is capable of achieving the impossible