4723 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

oracle enterprise manager

HPADM
Advisor

oracle enterprise manager

Hi,
I'm trying to configure oracle enterprise manager on my PC.
I need to configure the database repository.
Now I'm in the configuration assist menu step1
and it wants me to insert the username,password
and service. I don't what I have to do because the real database is in a server unix with a listener working fine.

Can someone give me some manual about it or help me?
thank you

4 REPLIES 4
Tom Jackson
Valued Contributor

Re: oracle enterprise manager

Hi:

You need to have the Oracle client installed on your desktop. I'm running Oracle 8.0.5.

Next, you need to establish a connection to you DB. For version 8.0.5, I run Oracle Net 8 Easy Config from the Oracle start menu (Start/Programs/Oracle for NT/Oracle Net 8 Easy Config).

Enter a service name (I entered mySID.WORLD), protocol (I use TCP/IP), host name or IP (the host name of your unix server), accept the default port number (1521), and DB sid. In the next panel you can test the service with a valid user ID and password.

hth,

To
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Hi

The Oracle Enterprise Manager is a three tier construction, which consists of the Management server (OMS), the Enterprise Console (OEM) and the Intelligent Agents (IA).

The IAs are part of the listener installation on each database server you'll want to manage, and must be running.
To start: lsnrctl dbsnmp_start (8.x)
agentctl start agent (9i)

Second the OMS must be installed on a server or locally on your PC. This service has its own username and passwd, and is configured with a service name (that needs to be defined in your tnsnames.ora file) telling it where the repository will be put (your database)
Run the Repository assistant to create a repository on this database. The repository user and password will be saved in the OMS configuration.

Then at last you start up the OEM console and connect to your OMS. The OMS will then use its repository and serve your console with information.

You can then discover nodes running the IA by using the Discover Node in the Navigator menu.

It is also possible to use the OEM standalone (from 9i) or DBA studio (8i) without a repository and connect directly to the database you'll manage. This is easier if you just have a couple databases to manage, but you would'nt be able to set up backupjobs, alarm events etc.

Andreas
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Hi again

Have attached a Quick start Note from Metalink

Andreas
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!