108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

oracle error HP-UX error 27

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gerald Taylor
Frequent Advisor

oracle error HP-UX error 27

I get an error message every morning referencing this one file. Here is the error from a trace file created by oracle:
KCF: write/open error dba=0x6c01a2f9 block=0x1a2f9 online=0 file=27 /u08/ORACLE/fbs_prod/wip_index01.dbf error=7376 txt: 'HP-UX Error: 27: File too large

We are running HPUX 10.20 Oracle 10.7 and database 7.3.4 I have check the oracle meta link and all information points toward the ulimit. Result of ulimit by oracle user:$ ulimit -a
time(seconds) unlimited
file(blocks) unlimited
data(kbytes) 65536
stack(kbytes) 8192
memory(kbytes) unlimited
coredump(blocks) 4194303
nofiles(descriptors) 2048

Any help would be useful. If anyone is familiar with these types of messages perhaps an explanation of fields in the error message would be helpful. What is KCF, dba, block and file actually talking about. Thanks in advance.

Gerald
8 REPLIES 8
Joseph C. Denman
Honored Contributor

Re: oracle error HP-UX error 27

What is the size of /u08/ORACLE/fbs_prod/wip_index01.dbf. Error 27 is file too large
Unless large files is enabled, there is a 2GB limit.

...jcd...
If I had only read the instructions first??
Gerald Taylor
Frequent Advisor

The file is just under one GB so it should not have a problem being accessed from the OS

Gerald
Joseph C. Denman
Honored Contributor

Every Morning? What is going on with the database at the time of the error? By the name, it looks like your index datafile. Are you rebuilding indexes?

Autoextend on the datafile could be the cause of the problem. It may be attempting to increase the size larger than the 2GB limit to allow for the index rebuild.

Unsure??

...jcd...
If I had only read the instructions first??
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Gerald,

My best guess is that you have autoextend on and maxsize set to > 2GB or unlimited. I seem to remember that the filesize limit is 2GB in Oracle 7.3 on 10.20. If Oracle can create a file larger than 2GB then you also need to enable largefiles when you mount the filesystem
or with fsadm. Do an ls -l on this file and let us know the current size. I'm betting it is somewhere near the limit now.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
ajax13
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
you could try this to see if the problem related to next extent, login as system to the database and issue this sql statement.
select owner, index_name, next_extent, pct_increase from dba_indexes
where next_extent > 1073741824;
This will tell you if any index will try to extend more than 1GB, you could lower the number. One of the reason that may cause this problem is pctincrease is not 0. If you see one with pctincrease not set to 0, change it to 0 then change next to something reasonable.

Thanks
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello,
UNIX errno values are associated with a symbolic name (like 5, EIO). The association between numeric value and symbol is defined in the include file /usr/include/sys/errno.h (see table below). The errno man page (which can be obtained with man 3 errno) provides an explanation for each errno symbol.
HP-UX error are usually caused by insufficient kernel parameters (and more seldom, index file corruption). If you encounter one of this ERRORs, you should get further information form the console or the syslog.

HP-UX errno values Errno value Symbol Description
EPERM
Not super-user (root).

ENOENT
No such file or directory

ESRCH
No such process

EINTR
interrupted system call

EIO
I/O error

ENXIO
No such device or address

E2BIG
Arg list too long

ENOEXEC
Exec format error

EBADF
Bad file number

ECHILD
No children

EAGAIN
No more processes

ENOMEM
Not enough core

EACCES
Permission denied

EFAULT
Bad address

EBUSY
Mount device busy

EEXIST
File exists

EXDEV
Cross-device link

ENODEV
No such device

ENOTDIR
Not a directory

EISDIR
Is a directory

EINVAL
Invalid argument

ENFILE
File table overflow

EMFILE
Too many open files

ENOTTY
Not a typewriter

EFBIG
File too large

ENOSPC
No space left on device

ESPIPE
Illegal seek

EROFS
Read only file system

EMLINK
Too many links

EPIPE
Broken pipe

EDEADLK
A deadlock would occur

ENOLCK
System record lock table was full

EILSEQ
Illegal byte sequence

Thanks
G Manikandan
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

Hello,
KCF errors are from the oracle kernel sub systems.
write/open error tells that the your datafile could not be opened and it gives the block no.
It could be that the specific file is locked by some backup utility at OS level.
Some non-Oracle process is locking portions of the datafiles at the O/S level.
or
you check your kernel parameters.

Thanks
G Manikandan
Gerald Taylor
Frequent Advisor

I have spoken with our dba. The only thing going on is typical online processing with some reports. We do rebuild indexes every week when users are not on the system.

Autoextend is off on this datafile.
Here is the current size:
917512192 Sep 6 06:17 wip_index01.dbf

There are no indexes with next extent bigger than 2433024.

Thanks for all the current help. We still are having the same problem if anyone would like to add more I am all ears. Thanks