New Discussion юеВ

Re: oracle - running out of file descriptors warning in alert log HPUX 11.3

SOLVED
Go to solution
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

oracle - running out of file descriptors warning in alert log HPUX 11.3

A little help:

My alert log for Oracle 10g is telling me I'm running out of "file descriptors". Well, in the past, I fixed this by increasing resources to nfile for HPUX 11.11, but in HPUX 11.3, it's not there!

On Metalink, they're saying to check the ulimits for files, but they are currently set to "unlimited" (ran ulimit -a command).

Anyone know how to fix; is this a kernel configuration tunable parameter issue?

And of course, this posting could be either in databases, or in sys admin, and there is no tag for both....
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
5 REPLIES 5
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi:

In 11.31, 'nfile' is obsolete:

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02266682/c02266682.pdf

From the above, "The recommended way to regulate the maximum number of open files on the system is to set the values of maxfiles_lim and nproc appropriately; the theoretical system maximum can be assumed to be maxfiles_lim * nproc."

Regards!

...JRF...
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Thanks JRF, directly to the solution, and quickly. If I may ask, did you find a document that pointed you to this one (like an obsolete tunables document)?
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again) TwoProc:

> If I may ask, did you find a document that pointed you to this one (like an obsolete tunables document)?

No, frankly, I had happened to notice a while back that this document was posted on the 11.31 manpages section of the the new-and-improved documentation website. It tend to remember where I've seen things.

By the way, "TwoProc" = John J. ?

Regards!

...JRF...
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Yes, it's me. Since I've just got new Itaniums - I think QuadProc would be relevant!
:-)

And, if you wonder why all the posts - well the sysadmin is on vacation that takes care of the newest boxes, so I get to take my mgr hat off this week !!!! YAY !
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Also, I missed your hat upgrade! Congratulations! That's quite a recovery from a 5 year or so disappearance!