1748268 Members
3611 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: oracle upgrade on 2-node serviceguard servers

Sammy_2
Super Advisor

oracle upgrade on 2-node serviceguard servers

ON a 2 node cluster, I have a package with all the oracle filesystems (on a shared drive). If the DBA upgrades oracle (from 8.0.6 to 8i) on the active node, what changes I need to make on the passive mode so when the (oracle package) filesystems are actually failover to
Node B , then the oracle would come up smoothly. In other words, what files get installed locally to a server during the oracle installation. Do I need to upgrade oracle on both the nodes ?
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement.
5 REPLIES 5
linuxfan
Honored Contributor

Hi Sam,

It depends on your existing setup. If you have oracle binaries installed on the shared drive, and your DBA upgrades the oracle on the shared drive, then you don't need to do anything on the second node.
If you already have working MC-SG packages, then they should come up fine on the other node.

-HTH
Ramesh

They think they know but don't. At least I know I don't know - Socrates
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

You do not really have to do any change to the file systems. But you have to modify the package script to change ORACLE variables if you are using the toolkit scripts.

If your $ORACLE_BASE is on the shared drive, then you don't have to do anything. In our case we have it as a seperate local file system as /oracle. So, we upgrade the code on both the servers.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
William Baines
Frequent Advisor

We have nearly the same setup running Oracle 8i on a shared disk set in a 2 node Service Guard Cluster. Check the /etc/oratab and /etc/lsnrtab.ora files, since these are both local. Keep in mind that any kernel changes will have to done on both nodes as well. Good Luck!

Work smarter, not harder
Christopher McCray_1
Honored Contributor

You will install the same way that you have it currently, whether you have only the binaries on vg00, everything instance-specific on vg00, or everything on a shared drive. Might I suggest that you first perform the upgrade to the second node and then try to fail the package over to it? If it does not work, then you can always revert to the first machine, which you know still works until you find out the problem. This is called a rolling upgrade and is one of the many wonderful features to Service Guard. Hope I was helpful.

Chris
It wasn't me!!!!
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Sam,

Other than /etc/oratab and /etc/lsnrtab.ora there are a few files which get copied in /usr/lbin too. It would be better for you to replicate the same on the other server. Do remember to modify the Host IP in /etc/lsnrtab.ora

Hope this helps

Sanjay