7137 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: oracle with xhost problem

Fadia Almarei
Super Advisor

oracle with xhost problem

Dear All
my problem this time that i have HP 11i system running oracle database on it ,we use an xhost command to enable another client to get a display , but when we do a backup to the system we shutdown the database and start it again ,after that we try to do xhost + command but it does not work ,but when we do a logout and login to the system the command work, it seems like the database shutdown is the cause for this issue ,how can i recover it without logout of the system?
BR,
Fadia
fadia.marei
7 REPLIES 7
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi Fadia,

Looks like while restarting the database, the login is getting changed. You have to run 'xhost' as the owner of the Xdisplay. For ex., if you login as 'user1' through CDE, you will need to do 'xhost + client' directly as user1. Simply take another window and run 'xhost'. However, once you ran xhost, you don't need to run it again unless you restart your X server.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Fadia Almarei
Super Advisor

i login to the console as a root user,and i do the command xhost + , for all the clients not to aspesific one, so how to do that,and as i said that it does not work unless we logout and login again to the system
fadia.marei
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi,

It's not a good idea to do 'xhost +' but the behaviour should be the same.

If you login as 'root', then run 'xhosts +' as root by opening a new window. You don't need to run it again unless you restart your CDE session.

-Sri
Fadia Almarei
Super Advisor

i know that ,but we leave the console locked and the oracle backup done at 2.30am (the data base shutdown and start at this backup session),and in the mornning when we try to do the xhost + command it does not work
fadia.marei
bhavin asokan
Honored Contributor

hi,

after shutdown of database and start when you are giving the xhosts + command ,is it gives any error ?
can you post the output of env command before and after shutdown of database.and check your /etc/profile and .profile for any export DISPLAY command.

regds,
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Well.. then I must be misreading your question. Let me try again.

1. You logon to CDE as root and run 'xhost +'. so that clients will connect to your Xdisplay.
2. You lock the screen.
3. Backup is run during the midnight.
4. You unlock the screen and run 'xhost +' again?..

What I am saying is that you don't need to run 'xhost +' again. What error do you get when you run that command anyway?. Do you try to run it from a new terminal as root?

-Sri
Fadia Almarei
Super Advisor

you are right ,but we have some clients work on the oracle they do some reporting(bdf reporting) they browse the report from the unix to there disktops and print it from there local printers,they recognize that when they try to browse and print more and more reports by many users they do not work and for this we must do the xhost + command again to work again ,that is the total story
fadia.marei