108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: out of process memory error

SOLVED
Go to solution
lastgreatone
Regular Advisor

out of process memory error

I have a user that gets an 'out of process memory error' which drops stored procedures periodically. Parsing XML streams and the procedures sit on top of java classes on an L1000 with 512Mb of RAM. The o.s. is 64bit and oracle is 32bit. The buffer parameters are set at default (dbc_max_pct=50 / dbc_mix_pct=5). Running Glance I notice the memory is steadily in the 95%+ range but there is no swapping. Should I be tweaking the buffer parameter?

TIA
5 REPLIES 5
Pedro Sousa
Honored Contributor

I think you should change the dbc_max_pct to 10/15. You can see something about it on Oracle docs.

With glance you can check wich application is using to much memory. Go to the applications window.

good luck.
Steven Sim Kok Leong
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The dbc_max_pct should be much lesser since Oracle is already using its buffer cache in its SGA. One good combination is dbc_max_pct=8% and dbc_min_pct=5%.

From glance, you should try to identify the memory utilisation by each Oracle server process. Are you running an Oracle dedicated server or Oracle multi-threaded server? For Oracle dedicated server, the memory consumption for an Oracle server process should average around 20 MB only.

Monitor an active Oracle server process using glance over a period of time. Check whether the memory consumption increases over time and note its peak usage of memory.

Hope this helps. Regards.

Steven Sim Kok Leong
Brainbench MVP for Unix Admin
http://www.brainbench.com
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor
Solution

To get the correct bufpage values, check with sysdef or run this command " echo bufpages/D| adb -k /stand/vmunix /dev/kmem"

Also, in your kernel configuration set bufpages and nbuf to zero and swapmem_on=1.
Your really have to retune your kernel with adequate values.
See attached kernel configuration file, it should be of help!
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.
Steven Sim Kok Leong
Honored Contributor

Hi,

What is the size of the Oracle SGA configured? If you are running an Oracle dedicated server, you must strike a dedicate balance between the SGA size and the number of sqlnet and sqlplus connections you intend to serve.

Because each sqlnet/sqlplus connection establishes as an Oracle server process, the number of connections you are supporting multiply by the memory consumption per server process gives you the total memory required outside the boundaries of the SGA consumption.

As such, when you decide on the size of your SGA, you have to take into account the number of Oracle server processes you are expecting to serve in the remaining memory.

Hope this helps. Regards.

Steven Sim Kok Leong
Brainbench MVP for Unix Admin
http://www.brainbench.com
Clay Ohlemann

Make sure that the kernel param maxdsiz is set high enough. I think the default is 64Mb, I have raised it to 128Mb or 256Mb on several of my servers.