108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: perfomance monitoring database?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Donny Jekels
Respected Contributor

perfomance monitoring database?

I posted this question in the sys admin side. needless to say I got "zero" reponses.

I am planning on building a tool to collect performance stats from all our unix servers 80+ and send this data to a RDBMS database.

Does anyone know of a freeware verion I could use to get started, or any ideas of how to get started would be welcome.

Thanks
Donny
"Vision, is the art of seeing the invisible"
9 REPLIES 9
Zafar A. Mohammed_1
Trusted Contributor

Will you be more specific about Performance Stats, I mean its UNIX performance or Database Performance?

Thanks
Zafar
Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor

Hi

I would suggest sar - pushing its outputs to files which you then ftp to the collection server.

Search the forum for use and setup of sar.

HTH
Paula
If you can spell SysAdmin then you is one - anon
Paddy_1
Valued Contributor

Measureware is the solution but its not free.
You can write your own scripts to process this and write SQL scripts to push into the DB
The sufficiency of my merit is to know that my merit is NOT sufficient
John Poff
Honored Contributor

Hi,

We do it here, but we use Measureware to get the performance stats. The Measureware product costs money, but it is worth it many times over for the amount of information it will give you.

If you are looking to do it for free, you'll just have to use sar, dump it to a file and write a script to send it to your database. Not too hard, but the stats won't be nearly as good.

JP
Martin Johnson
Honored Contributor

I would agree that MeasureWare (MWA) is the way to go. MWA monitors hundreds of metrics and MWA can be set to alert on these metrics when they reach a certain threshold.

The ability to monitor the system tables has been very valuable to me in preventing downtime.

HTH
Marty
Donny Jekels
Respected Contributor

UNIX perf data
Zafar A. Mohammed_1
Trusted Contributor
Solution

UNIX Performace stats to RDBMS.

Example
UNIX File:
tdate=`date +%m-%d-%Y.%H:%M:%S`
iostat | ssp | rmnl | sed '1d' | awk -v td=$tdate '{print td "|" $1 "|" $2 "|"$3 " |" $4 "|"}' > /tmp/ios.out

If you have informix database then
dbaccess database_name
create table iostats
(
dtime char(50),
devices char(50),
bps integer,
sps decimal(10,2),
msps decimal(10,2)
);

LOAD FROM "/tmp/ios.out" DELIMITER "|"
INSERT INTO iostats;

Now, just select from informix database:
SELECT * FROM iostats

You can do the same like this with Oracle also, but the loading syntax will be different.

Thanks
Zafar
Donny Jekels
Respected Contributor

Zafar,

Yes is exactly, what I am trying to develop.
I have an oracle database, have not built the database yet.

I am sure measureware can already do this type of work. but I plan to build a web front for the data with perl cgi scripts. and be able to do trending afterwards, and forcasting.

Thus I will start with cpu stats 1st, then add each component to monitor one at a time.

thanks
Donny
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The (very) hard way to do this is to use classic (and aging) Unix tools such as top and vmstat and sar, then try to create meaningful reports. This will require an enormous amount of labor and time to produce useful reports as the tools were never designed to handle threaded apps, massive memory requirements, multiple CPUs, etc.

MeasureWare interfaces with special metric points inside HP-UX and gathers them through a specialized shared memory daemon called midaemon. This interface is quite non-invasive yet provides 100x more in measurements than the legacy Unix apps. The important feature for MWA is the extract command that will pull exactly what you need from the logs. HP also offers PerfView which will create graphs but for your application (web based reports), just MWA and extract will work very well.
b
Buy a copy of MWA and look for the presentation software in the freeware community--you'll save an enormous amount of time and labor plus get useful reports.

There are also two alternatives to MeasureWare: SarCheck and MetaView from Lund Performance Solutions. The Lund package is complete with web (and also PDA) reports along with alarms and drill-down capability. If you need to manage 80+ servers, you'll be way ahead using the Lund package which comes out of the box ready to serve up the reports.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin