Operating System - HP-UX
1748252 Members
3883 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: performance issues to be expected: rp5470/4g/1proc upgrading from oracle 8i to 9i?

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Destreel
Occasional Advisor

performance issues to be expected: rp5470/4g/1proc upgrading from oracle 8i to 9i?

Hi, we will propably upgrade from oracle 8i to 9i. Our rp5470 with 4g of mem and 1 processor is performing very well now. What is to be expected when we upgrade to 9i for performance and resources requirements?

your advice pls ...

TIA
John Destreel
To boldly crash where no one has crashed before : Windows XP
3 REPLIES 3
Sanjay Kumar Suri
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: performance issues to be expected: rp5470/4g/1proc upgrading from oracle 8i to 9i?

Not much of change is expected with the upgrade to 9i on performance and resources requirements (except additional disk space for SYSTEM tablespace) and about 1 GB during the Oracle Upgarde.

However Oracle 9i has improved in several ways and has enhanced functions. There is a particular emphasis on simplifying administration and reducing the
administrative workload. Some of these features are:

- Automatic Undo Management.
- Server parameter file (SPFILE)
- Dynamic SGA
- Automatic PGA memory management
- Multiple block sizes

sks
A rigid mind is very sure, but often wrong. A flexible mind is generally unsure, but often right.
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi John,

The System requirements for Oracle 9i are

400 MB space in /tmp, 256 MB of Physical Memory (RAM), three times the amount of Physical Memory for Swap space (unless the system exceeds 1 GB of Physical Memory, where two times the amount of Physical Memory for Swap space is sufficient)

For migrating the database from 8.1.7 to 9.2 base release, minimum value for shared_pool_size is 48M. Further, for applying the patch 9.2.0.3 , the value for shared_pool_size happens to be 150M.

Configure Kernel Resources:
shmmax=1073741824 or 0X40000000
shmmni=100
shmseg=10
semmns=1000
semmni=100

Check if you have the X-library symbolic links under /usr/lib

Due to a known HP bug (Doc.id. KBRC00003627), the default HP-UX 64 operating system installation does not create a few required X-library symbolic links. These links must be created manually before starting Oracle9i installation. You must have superuser privileges to do that.

$ su - root
$ cd /usr/lib
$ ln -s /usr/lib/libX11.3 libX11.sl
$ ln -s /usr/lib/libXIE.2 libXIE.sl
$ ln -s /usr/lib/libXext.3 libXext.sl
$ ln -s /usr/lib/libXhp11.3 libXhp11.sl
$ ln -s /usr/lib/libXi.3 libXi.sl
$ ln -s /usr/lib/libXm.4 libXm.sl
$ ln -s /usr/lib/libXp.2 libXp.sl
$ ln -s /usr/lib/libXt.3 libXt.sl
$ ln -s /usr/lib/libXtst.2 libXtst.sl

IA

Never give up, Keep Trying
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

Will you be moving to 11i of HP-UX as well? That would consume a little more RAM also. If you are near maximum capacity of any resource (memory, CPU, etc), a small change in requirements from an application can have a disproportionate effect. So, it would be best to determine that you are not on the "edge" right now. It doesn't sound like you are, but glance, or other tools (sar, iostat, vmstat) can be useful to verify how much spare capacity you have.
Mom 6