Operating System - HP-UX
1752815 Members
6162 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: phpMyAdmin under Apache 2.0.43/PHP 4.2.2?

Charles Soto
Advisor

phpMyAdmin under Apache 2.0.43/PHP 4.2.2?

I've tried both phpMyAdmin 2.3.2 and 2.3.3 (from phpmyadmin.net). In either case, I get nothing but "document contains no data" responses from the browser. I have set this up before under Mac OS X (BSD).

PHP appears to be working, as does mySQL 3.23.53. A few mySQL-enabled PHP test scripts work fine.

I'm using the Depot of HP Apache found at www.software.hp.com. Other than missing the part about needing the linker patch, it's now working fine.

I *though* this might have something to do with zlib compression, but I turned these off. No fix. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Charles
9 REPLIES 9
benoit Bruckert
Honored Contributor

Hi Charles,
I think that your php software is not linked with Apache .
did you uncomment in httpd.conf php lines,
I'm not sure that PHP is linked in the HP APache ! may be recently.
try with just php in a first step :
here is a very little php script :
phpinfo();
php?>
save these 3 line in a fred.php file that you store in your apache directory,
and try the url :
http://yourserver/fred.php
if you get the full page then your php config is OK,
neither see httpd.conf,
Apache 2.0.43 cannot be linked statically with php4.2... Then I don't think that PHP is delivered with the APache HP.
May be you should compile your own php Apache module !! (It works, i'm using it)

hth
Benoit
____
Si les imb??ciles volaient, il ferait nuit.
Fr??deric Dare

Une application mal pans├йe aboutit ├а une usine ├а gaze (GHG)
Charles Soto
Advisor

Benoit, PHP is in fact working. As I stated, I have installed a few test PHP scripts (including the usual phpinfo() script you suggest), some that even call mySQL. They work as advertised. This is a PHP-vs-phpMyAdmin issue, I believe.

Yes, PHP 4.2.2 is included with the HP-supplied Apache. I want to use this because I am the most experienced sysadmin on staff, but don't want to document anything that a novice couldn't deal with. Let HP do the work :)

(Yes, I have compiled from sources-I remember having to make Mosaic on the old Sun IPCs just to be able to use this new "web" thing ;)

Next, I am going to try pointing my other phpMyAdmin system (Mac OS X) at this host as a remote mySQL server. This will confirm whether it's a PHP problem, or a mySQL problem. I suspect it's PHP :(

Thanks for your input!

Charles
benoit Bruckert
Honored Contributor

Well,
I don't use phpmyadmin, so I won't be very helpfull, but just an idea : have you got any logs (php logs, or apache logs , or mysql logs ) ?
sometime an error message is helpfull..
regards
Benoit
Une application mal pans├йe aboutit ├а une usine ├а gaze (GHG)
Charles Soto
Advisor

It is definitely not a mySQL problem, as I can point this copy to a working mySQL server and I get the same results.

Charles
Charles Soto
Advisor

Ok. I installed a new instance of phpMyAdmin on the Mac OS X server and pointed it to the HP's mySQL copy. Works dandily. So, there's definitely a problem running this phpMyAdmin on the HP under this particular Apache/PHP environment.

Oh well, the phpMyAdmin on X is a suitable workaround for now, but I'll keep digging. I'd appreciate any ideas!

Charles

Hello Charles

I was hoping to find out if you ever got a resolution to this problem. I've been doing pretty much the same thing you have but all I get back is an empty html page. If I view source it has a set of html and body tags but nothing else. I also get a good 200 return code for the page and nothing goes to a log anywhere. I've tried upgrading to apache 2.0.45 with no change in bahaviour. Have you found a solution or has anybody given you any other ideas?

Thanks
Allen
The possibilities for disaaster boggle the mind!

Hey Charles!

I got it! It turns out that for some odd reason, php has some really interesting effects depending on the file permissions that are in effect. I also made a couple of changes to the php.ini file in the /opt/hpws/apache/conf directory to get things working right. Here's what I did:
I went ou tto www.phpmyadmin.net and downloaded the latest release.
I untarred the release in the /opt/hpws/apache/htdocs directory (my doc root).
I made the neccessary changes to the config.ini.php file. (make sure the permissions are right for the two users it needs and then flush permssions in the mysql server)
I then setup a link to an easier name for me to remember than the one that it uncompressed.
I then went to the httpd.conf directory and setup and alias to that directory so the url looked pretty.
And that's about it! After all that it just ran like a top. You need to make sure that you don't monkey with the permissions. If you change the files to executeable, they won't work because apache seems to get confused about that. Let me know if you still can't get it, I'd be happy to help out. I have included the permissions set file for your perusal. I'll do another post with the php.ini file I'm using.

Here's the other file.

Thanks
Allen
Charles Soto
Advisor

Both PHP and phpMyAdmin started working after updating to the newest version of HP Web Server Suite:

http://www.software.hp.com/cgi-bin/swdepot_parser.cgi/cgi/displayProductInfo.pl?productNumber=HPUXWSSUITE

This had correct builds of everything necessary. We're using it without significant issues.

Charles