New Discussion юеВ

Re: prngd[2272]: Could not fork: Not enough space in hp-ux

SOLVED
Go to solution
Shehan
Super Advisor

prngd[2272]: Could not fork: Not enough space in hp-ux

Hi all

I have rp4440 server running hp-ux 11 v1 and also running Oracle 10g. Problem is this data base does not respond sometime when there is a quite high load. Server is having 32GB memory and I saw always memory utilizing 80-90% when there is load. Also I saw below message in the syslog and GPM show some CPU bottleneck,disk bottleneck as well as swap is not enough warning occasionally.

Feb 25 16:25:17 DataWH prngd[2272]: Could not fork: Not enough space

Please advice me if you have prior experience on this issue.

Regards
Nirukshitha
25 REPLIES 25

Do you have sufficient swap? What's the output of "swapinfo -tam"

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

what is the output of this commands

#sar -b 5 5

#sar -v 5 5
a warrior never quits
Shehan
Super Advisor

Hi Duncan

Please see the attached commands outputs.Also I monitored system is always utilizing swap almost 100%. Please check this and let me know the status.

Regards
Nirukshitha

You have a 32GB system with only 4GB of swap.

As an absolute minimum you should have at least 25% (8GB in your case) of memory size available as swap. In your case I'd look at going right up to 50%/16GB of swap.

See the following docs for more guidelines:

http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90950/ch06s03.html

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Shehan
Super Advisor

Hi Duncan

As per your suggestion, for the my system you have recommended me to increase up to 16GB. Is that correct?

If it is correct, can I increase existing 4GB swap space up to 16 GB or Do I need to create another logical volumes for 12GB? Please advice...

Regards
Nirukshitha
Solution

Well swap has to be contiguous, so I doubt you'll be able to extend that existing swap partition. I'd just create another lvol of 12GB in size and use that - remember these swap areas likely won't ever get *used*, the space just gets *reserved* in case it needs to be used.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Shehan
Super Advisor

Hi Duncan

As you propose, it seems to be better if we can create another lvol with 12GB for swap space. My worry is it seems there is no 12GB free space in the local disk. So, can I create this lvol in another VG at external storage?

Regards
Nirukshitha
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Shalom,

As you propose, it seems to be better if we can create another lvol with 12GB for swap space. My worry is it seems there is no 12GB free space in the local disk. So, can I create this lvol in another VG at external storage?

Putting swap in local storage is a bad idea.

If this system is new, you might want to reinstall the OS properly and avoid these issues.

Normally HP-UX requires swap to be a minimum of 50% physical RAM.

Yes, you can probably put the additional 12 GB of space on external storage, however vg00 might not have enough PE's left to allocate space on an external disk.

It would be much better to reduce a file system on the local disk and keep swap there.

The problem with putting swap on external storage is that if there is an unplug of the fiber network your system halts due to loss of access to swap space.

Not a good situation at all.

This system has been a bit abused and for long term stability, you probably want swap on some local disk.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com

SEP,

>> Putting swap in local storage is a bad
>> idea.

Is that waht you meant to say, as the rest of your post seems to indicate otherwise?

>> If this system is new, you might want to
>> reinstall the OS properly and avoid these
>> issues.

Agreed - that would be the best policy, but this looks like a prod system - presumably if it is, that sort of outage will have to be planned. Adding a seperate swap volume in the short term will resolve that.

>> Yes, you can probably put the additional
>> 12 GB of space on external storage,
>> however vg00 might not have enough PE's
>> left to allocate space on an external
>> disk.

Well it doesn't all have to go in vg00 - you can have swap in seperate VGs, just so long as you have *some* in vg00 so you can get into single user/LVM maintenance mode.

>> The problem with putting swap on external
>> storage is that if there is an unplug of
>> the fiber network your system halts due
>> to loss of access to swap space.

>> Not a good situation at all.

Unplug a fiber cable on a system with only data on the SAN, and to all intents and purposes the system is hung anyway - after all we don't run systems just for the OS, we run them for the apps! Anyway, this just leads us back in to the old "boot from SAN" argument again, and I know we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

Besides, presumably Nirukshitha has at least 2 connections to his SAN?

Nirukshitha, to summarise:

i) In the long run SEP is correct - get all your swap on local disks if you're booting off local disks, at least if you lose the SAN, you can still get to an OS prompt. The simplest way to do this (assuming the disks in vg00 are big enough) is using an ignite backup/interactive recovery where you'll get the chance to change the size of swap.

ii) In the short term to prevent the erors you're seeing add some external swap - it can go in a seperate VG, just make sure you assign it a lower priority than your primary swap volume on vg00. That way it won't be used until primary swap is full.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo