1751695 Members
5060 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: problems when installing patches on a MCSG box

Henrique Silva_3
Regular Advisor

problems when installing patches on a MCSG box

running oracle 8.1.7.0 64 bit on hpux 11 64 bit OS.

Have two R7400 servers where I setup app packages, and installed oracle on both servers, so that I did not have to bring down the package in order to work with oracle. I am sharing the admin directories, dbs, network, amongst the two boxes, which makes it easy to do maintenance.

When I went to install the oracle 8.1.7.4 patches, it worked fine on the server where the package was active, but when I went to update the binaries on the other server, it did not work. When doing the runInstaller, it could not find the java executable under /tmp/oraInstall directory. I had to bring the package down on the active server ( this is not in production yet ), and copy the /tmp/oraInstall directory, which was missing, and was able then, to get the GUI up and running, and finish the patch install.

The obviuos problem here, is that the app was down for the update of the binaries, on BOTH boxes, which was the intent on having this on MCSG to begin with !!!

Now, do I have to also share the /tmp/oraInstall between the two boxes ? I do not think so, since they are two different installs, and only share common files to the database created.

Any help here will be appreciated !!!

Henrique Silva
"to be or not to be, what was the question ???? "
3 REPLIES 3
Julio Yamawaki
Esteemed Contributor

As you have two installations of Oracle binaries, you MUST have to keep /tmnp/OraInstall on both machines, even to install patches or to install new Oracle packages.
Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor

Did you do a complete installation on each server, or did you do an installation on one and copied it to the other server?

Brian
Henrique Silva_3
Regular Advisor

OK, I did install oracle on both servers, which means that both had /tmp/OraInstall directories.

When trying to run runInstaller on the inactive node, it failed, asking for the java executable under /tmp/OraInstall/jre/bin/java, I believe, and it was not there. I copied it over from the other box ( they are the same ), and it worked fine after that.

The problem that I have is that I had to bring down the active node on the the other side and mount the shared file systems :

$ORACLE_HOME/dbs
$ORACLE_HOME/network and
$ORACLE_BASE/admin

I shared these between the two systems, so that I could make changes to the DB in only one place, and it would work on both in case of a switch over.

I do not see anything here that partains to patch installs, that would be a problem. Can you tell me if this is a problem ?

I was able to run runInstaller, and it came up fine on the inactive node just now !!!

Thanks,

Henrique Silva
"to be or not to be, what was the question ???? "