Operating System - HP-UX
1752305 Members
4931 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: question on database start/stop run levels...

Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I start Oracle and the listener in run level 3 with high S values (S950oracle/S951ora_lsnr)) so it's the last or one of the last to start.
And stop them in run level 2 with low K (K050oracle/K049ora_lsnr) values so they're one of the first to stop.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

Hi,
I have put my start script at level 4 (rc4.d) leaving the system startup as by default.
this lets me bring down all our added-on soft at level 3 from my pc without having to go to the computer room (2 and 3 Km from my office).
If some trouble happens to a database you know like complaints because no one can update or get connected anymore and I cant get hold of a DBA - Well init 3, look at the system logs, when all is fine (2-5 minutes later) init 4 again

All the best
Victor
James Ellis_1
Super Advisor

Ok..Ok..Ok..folks. This was a quick reply to my question. Not sure how to apply points...maybe I'll just have a cooler party around the office? Eh...who wants free brewskis and soda?

I see the general consenus is startup at run level 3 and shutdown at run level 2.

I forgot to place one more question in this post, we are running Unicenter. So if I want to shutdown the db and at the same run level shutdown as Unicenter, then I would shutdown the db first, then Unicenter. I would also bring up the db before Unicenter.

Like you all said, this is all subjective. I have not looked in an Oracle book, but maybe I can see if I have this book home and see what Oracle recommends.

Thanks!
"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity" -Einstein
John Meissner
Esteemed Contributor

James if you are anywhere near Philly I'll take you up on the brews :) or perhaps I'll just raise a glass/bottle to you tonight when I get home
All paths lead to destiny
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again) James:

In answer to your last question, if you startup process A, then B, then to shutdown correctly simply proceed in the opposite order; B then A.

Regards!

...JRF...
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

i've seen many oracle technologist doing it with as root with the startup/shutdown script in /etc/rc3.d and /etc/rc0.d.

regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)