10013 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

rac dataguard or mcservice guard

NXS
Valued Contributor

rac dataguard or mcservice guard

hi,

I'm currently wondering about oracle 9i ha solutions on hpux, because rac, dataguard and mcserviceguard are confusing. I would like to known if somebody could told me if mcserviceguard is needed in order to get rac/dataguard running, and if I could get an actif/passif oracle cluster working with 9i standard edition on a mcserviceguard cluster
Thanks for advices.

Pol gabriel
2 REPLIES 2
Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor

Re: rac dataguard or mcservice guard

Ok. This is a quick rundown:

RAC - This is an active/active cluster configuration. A single database exists on a set of shared disk, with an instance running on each node. This uses raw filesystems, which requires some administration overhead. The MC/SG software for RAC is required for this product.

Serviceguard - This is an active/passive cluster configuration. A single database exists on a set of shared disk, and the disk is moved between the systems when it fails over. Only one system can run the database at a time. Standard SG software is needed for this.

Dataguard - This is HA, but not like the others. This moves the log files from the primary database to the standby database. This is normally used for an offsite disaster recovery, not a failover system. No SG software is required for this.

Failsafe - This is an active/passive cluster configuration. This uses raw filesystems, which reduces the time required to failover the system. The MC/SG software for Failsafe or RAC is required for this.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Brian
NXS
Valued Contributor

Re: rac dataguard or mcservice guard

Thank you for the informations