5964 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

reboot problem on HP-UX10.2 on B2000

Alfred Asebiomo
Frequent Advisor

reboot problem on HP-UX10.2 on B2000

Hello team,
Whenever I reboot my system, when it gets to the login screen and I enter my user name / password, it returns back to the login prompt after a while.
Any one has an idea what's going on?

Alfred
5 REPLIES 5
Todd McDaniel_1
Honored Contributor

Re: reboot problem on HP-UX10.2 on B2000

could be a problem with the getty...

Can you telnet or rlogin to that box and kill the getty? It will respawn.

Im guessing when you say "after a while" you can function normally on the console issuing commands then suddenly it returns to the login prompt?

Do you have some kind of script that kicks you out if you are idle on the console?
Unix, the other white meat.
Alfred Asebiomo
Frequent Advisor

Todd,
after entring my user name and password, I does not get to the desktop area before it returns back to the login screen.

When I get home tonight...I will try and rlogin to kill the process you suggested and see if it works.
Thanks

Alfred
KapilRaj
Honored Contributor

Are you using a CDE GUI Desktop ?

If not and u r using a terminal Window .. Try whether there is a setting for "Local Echo " or something like that !. I think your key strokes are not passed to the system except for the Return key ..

Kaps
Nothing is impossible
R. Allan Hicks
Trusted Contributor

Can you login with the GUI (i.e. vue or cde) via a telnet or a rlogin session? It might give you a clue as to where to start looking.

Also I had a similar problem when I (not knowing any better) changed root to default to ksh. It didn't like that and I could not log in as root. _Seems_ like it gave the same symptoms that you discribe.
"Only he who attempts the absurd is capable of achieving the impossible
Alfred Asebiomo
Frequent Advisor

Any other sugestions on this issue.