5442 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: redo log corrupted

Stan_17
Valued Contributor

hi brian,

hunan, could get lucky with clear logfile thing, however, the last option you suggested, oracle automatically does that for you. if one log member is corrupted for some darn reasons, then it automatically reads/writes the other members within the group which is the whole point of multiplexing redologs.

correct me if i'm wrong.

Hunan_1
Frequent Advisor

I've tried to clear the redo log, but didn't work either.

Thanks
Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor

Stan,

Not quite. In an online situtation, Oracle will not hang saying that a redo-log is corrupted, but will mark it corrupt and put errors in the alertlog. On a startup however, it checks the logs, and verifies that they are valid before opening.

This has been true in my experiance. I might go try it out on a test system to see if this is still true.

Brian
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

You could try this.

1.First, try to clean up any client connections by killing them at the operating system level. PMON becomes stuck trying to clean up one of these processes. You have to kill the instance at the operating system level.

2. You cannot open the database as you again receive the same errors on the corrupted redo log. You must bring the database to the mount stage and then clear the logfile with: ALTER DATABASE CLEAR UNARCHIVED LOGFILE ''

3. You are then able to open the database and do a clean shutdown.

4. At this point, you should take a backup and now fix the issue that caused the curruption (like hardware failure....etc)

Reasons (refer here)
The redo log header became corrupt due to hardware failure. As the archiver was unable to archive that log and processing continued, all redo logs were filled and not archived. Thus a log switch could not occur. Oracle attempted to terminate the instance but was unable due to some client processes still connected. After the instance is killed, it cannot be restarted until the corrupted redo log has been cleared. Clearing the redo log with 'UNARCHIVED' allows you to reuse that redo log. Refer to the SQL Reference Guide under the ALTER DATABASE statement for CLEAR LOGFILE options.
Never give up, Keep Trying
Stan_17
Valued Contributor

Hi Brian,

I agree that oracle will not hang if one of redolog member gets corrupted. however, lgwr moves on to next member in the redolog group. besides it writes errors on to alert.log and trace files...so the chances of introducing the same corruption at the same point in redolog is minimal.

similarly, when arch kicks in to archive, it reads the redolog member and if it encounters corruption, automatically it moves on to the next member in group and so on...

same happens on instance recoveries too.

Stan

Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hello,

please clarify whether your database is still up or is down.

If the later, unfortunately you have very few options for recovery.

regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
PAVIC Thierry
Frequent Advisor

Hi, Do you have all your files except the redolog file ?

Do yo use the arcive log mode?

Is it possible to open database with nomount option ?
Hunan_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi, I'll do my last try today.

After adding the line _allow_resetlogs_corruption=TRUE to init{SID}.ora, mount the database and run an sql script to recover all the datafiles(alter database recover datafile '...'), open the database. It seemed everything was ok, but it crashed after some minutes, the messages shown made reference to some blocks corrupted in the SYSTEM datafile.

Now the database is down, The database is not set to archive log mode, it's possible to startup the database with nomount option.

thanks all for your helping