108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: restore library file

SOLVED
Go to solution
Randy_9
Regular Advisor

restore library file

When restoring my system, I could not get the most recent copy of /usr/lib/libc.2 restored. The file is always busy, I tried it in single user mode (after I had copied the file to a temporary directory I created in /usr. While the system was in single-user mode I mounted /usr and tried to move it, but got the "file busy" message. How can I resolve this?

Thanks,

Randy
10 REPLIES 10
Clemens van Everdingen
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I have been thinking on this one.... hmmmm....

Idea...
1. Restore libc.2 in some temp dir.
2. Boot from hp-ux install cd into recovery mode
3. Hopefully now it's not busy/in use.
4. Try to access disc and copy recovered file into place.
5. Reboot system.

Never tried this before, but might be the solution. So no warranty :)

C.
The computer is a great invention, there are as many mistakes as ever, but they are nobody's fault !
John Poff
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I think Clemens probably has it right. That file gets opened by just about everything in the world so you'd have a real tough time replacing it on a running system.

I'm curious, why do you need to restore that file?

JP
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Your fundamental problem is that you are using cp (and guess what? - it needs libc). The 'trick' is to use statically linked utilities (those in sbin).

1) While you are in multi-user mode copy your new version to a file in /usr/lib/. e.g. /usr/lib/libc.2.tmp

2) Shutdown and boot in single-user mode.

3) mount /usr

4) /sbin/mv /usr/lib/libc.2.tmp /usr/lib/libc.2

5) umount /usr

6) sync; sync; sync

7) Reboot in normal fashion.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Clemens van Everdingen
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Clay gave as usual the best possible answer.
I didn't think of that. :(

C.
The computer is a great invention, there are as many mistakes as ever, but they are nobody's fault !
Randy_9
Regular Advisor

My reason for wanting to replace the current one? because my last backup of it is different than that on the "make_rec_tape". I think I
am left to Clemens idea, I did
try the steps Clay mentioned and the little bugger was still busy. I created a /usr/park directory and restored the more recent version there, then in single
user mode I had mounted /usr
and tried to move it (/sbin/mv) and got the error
message. Do you think I really
need to replace it, even though it is a bit different
in size.

Thanks all,

Randy
John Poff
Honored Contributor

Randy,

I'd be a little hesitant to replace that file. It probably just gets updated when you load patches from HP. My guess is that you might have loaded a patch in between your last backup and your "make_rec_tape". Can you post the two different file sizes you are seeing? Have you patched the system recently?

JP
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Randy:

The only sure way to operate in single-user mode is to *boot into* it so that no filesystems get mounted and executables in those filesystems aren't ever run. Transitioning downward with 'init' is unlikely to work in situations like yours.

Regards!

...JRF...
Randy_9
Regular Advisor

John,
Yes I did install some patches
during that period. Do you think I should still hold off?.

James,
I did "boot-into" into single-user mode and mounted /usr.
Your point is well taken.

Thanks,

Randy
John Poff
Honored Contributor
Solution

Randy,

If you aren't having any specific problems with that library, I wouldn't replace the file. It probably was updated by one of the patches you loaded, and if you put back the older file you might have some problems with other programs that might rely on the updated libc.2 file. My philosophy is, don't fix it if it isn't broken. :)

JP