108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: sam &vt100 on hp term

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mark Greene_1
Honored Contributor

sam &vt100 on hp term

Due to the constraints imposed by our application, I have the hp console terminal running in vt100 emulation mode (operations runs the backups from the console). Sam works fine from there with the vt100 and with the TERM environment variable set to vt100.

What I am having an issue with is that vt100 from a telnet session does no play well with sam. The graphics are not correct, it appears that sam does not switch the display into the alternate charater set to generate the graphics characters, so it's just using the lower-case letters.

Is there a patch/known fix/work-around or anything for this? I'm not sure if it is an issue with sam or a depricated terminfo setup for the vt100, and really don't have the time to spare chasing down the wrong one. We are running HP11.00 with the Dec 2001 patch set installed.

thanks,
mark
the future will be a lot like now, only later
8 REPLIES 8
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Mark,

What are you using on the telnet side, ie Windows, Exceed, Reflections, Another HPux Host?

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Mark Greene_1
Honored Contributor

This was seen using Windows telnet (which I know has issues), and our applications vendor's telent app (McKesson HBOC). Are you hinting that the telnet emulations might not include the alternate character set, and thus no graphics are available for display?

mark
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

I just tested my windows 2000 telnet into an 11i box, and I was able to bring up sam (after setting my TERM to vt100), and it displayed the graphical lines. So I'm not too sure where to direct you at this point. What M$ are you using? Also, you said you had reflectionsX, doesn't it have a telnet option?

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Darrell Allen
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Mark,

It all depends on the terminal / telnet emulator. My W2K telnet works fine for SAM as delivered but the telnet client for 95/98 doesn't until you go into Terminal -> Preferences -> Fonts and select TERMINAL.

Darrell
"What, Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Neuman (Mad Magazine)
Darrell Allen
Honored Contributor

That's with the terminal type being set to vt100 / ansi and TERM=vt100 or ansi.

Darrell
"What, Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Neuman (Mad Magazine)
Mark Greene_1
Honored Contributor

Darrel,

the font setting did the trick for both windows and the application telnet client. If I could remember even half of what I used to know and have forgotten, I'd be doing great.

Harry, thanks for the time and effort.

mark
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

It's important to realize that there are hundreds of imitations out there (they are called emulators) and that vt100 is not an industry standard, it's just the model number of an ancient DEC terminal. And every emulator creator seems to 'know' what that means.

What is worse is that application programmers need to go back to Terminal-Basics 101, that boring college course that discusses how programs like vi can handle various terminals emulations without hard-coded sequences. The secret is called curses (not a comment but the name of a library). If the programmer(s) were forced to write code on 5-10 different terminals every day, the issue would disappear.

Note: PCs are not terminals. They run programs that make the keyboard and a Window look sort of like a terminal.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Mark Greene_1
Honored Contributor

Bill,

Thanks for your comments. I actually have a real vt100 manual from DEC, which of course, was not much help for this issue. About 5-6 years ago I used to do application programming specifically for the reflections telnet emulation, and can appreciate what you are advocating. Even doing basic shell scripting with tputs and stty settings can give a deeper appreciation for the issues involved with terminal emulation.

mark