108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

scsi address

SOLVED
Go to solution
allan_47
Occasional Contributor

scsi address

how will i get the character device file of my disk. I'm just getting confused on getting my disk character device file. When i tried doing issuing a command of ioscan -funC disk I've got a result of the attachment below.

I've also issued lssf plus device file name and it's correct.

thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Kent Ostby
Honored Contributor

Re: scsi address

The character device files are /dev/rdsk/ .

"Well, actually, she is a rocket scientist" -- Steve Martin in "Roxanne"
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

Allan,

Do a man on mksf and check out the "Naming Conventions" section. The c is supposed to represent the "unique interface card identification number from ioscan".

Pete

Pete
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

The CHARACTER disk device nodes fall under /dev/rdsk; the BLOCK disk device nodes fall under /dev/dsk. If you do an 'ls -l' /dev/rdsk, you will see that all the nodes have a 'c' as the first character of the mode string; the 'c' indicates a character device. Similarly, ls -l /dev/rdsk will have a 'b' for block devices.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Stephen Keane
Honored Contributor

The c part of the disk device is the controller. i.e. the instance number of the SCSI controller to which the disk is connected. If you do an ioscan -fn on your system and look for your disk, go up the tree until you find the controller, look at the controllers instance number and it should be the digit(s) after the c in the disk device.

the controller description will say something like

SCSI C896 Ultra2 Wide LVD