Malleron Mathieu
Frequent Advisor

service guard ?

hi ,
My boss asked me to get all infos abour "service guard" :
-if its easy to instal ?
-if its easy to configure ?
etc ..
im looking for a technical doc , user manual etc ... all about this service.

regards ,
8 REPLIES 8
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: service guard ?

go to; www.docs.hp.com
and type in the search box; serviceguard

and it lists lots of online manuals. The ones I think you want to take a look at first are;

MC/ServiceGuard Architecture (HP-UX 11.0, HP-UX 11i)

Understanding ServiceGuard Software Components

Its not particularly easy to install and configure, I would say its medium to advanced in terms of difficulty, but its an excellent product and well worth the time and effort to set it up.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
KCS_1
Respected Contributor

hi,

here is so many information about MC/SG of High Availability products.

to see this site ,may you got more easy way to explain about MC/SG.

http://docs.hp.com/hpux/ha/index.html#ServiceGuard
Easy going at all.
Balaji N
Honored Contributor

hi

MC/SG is the HP;s clustering solution. everything looks vague at the start but once u starting working on it u find it simple.

here is the link to the doc.
http://docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/fsearch/framedisplay?top=/hpux/onlinedocs/B3936-90024/B3936-90024_top.html&con=/hpux/onlinedocs/B3936-90024/00/00/14-con.html&toc=/hpux/onlinedocs/B3936-90024/00/00/14-toc.html&searchterms=MC/Serviceguard&queryid=20030331-013827

HP Part Number:B3936-90024

hth
-b-
Its Always Important To Know, What People Think Of You. Then, Of Course, You Surprise Them By Giving More.
Malleron Mathieu
Frequent Advisor

thank for fast answer , all help is welcome
Darren Prior
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Well, here's some good info on ServiceGuard:

http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/B3936-90065/B3936-90065.html

I'd also suggest you attend a training course if you're going to be planning a ServiceGuard cluster. It's not something that should be taken lightly!

regards,

Darren.
Calm down. It's only ones and zeros...
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

also take a look at:
http://www.ifost.org.au/Documents/serviceguard.pdf

And i would repeat what Mr. Prior said above:

I'd also suggest you attend a training course if you're going to be planning a ServiceGuard cluster. It's not something that should be taken lightly!

Best regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Chin Jin Kiat
Occasional Contributor

Hi Malleron,

In your search for information, pay special attention to the portion about "user defined start/stop scripts".

Installation and configuration aside, the robustness of a MC/Serviceguard solution is largely dependent on the quality of these scripts. This means that you need someone who is familiar with both the behaviour of the application and UX scripting. The importance of this is often understated.
Tor-Arne Nostdal
Trusted Contributor

Hi,
I tought I could send some notes about experience and not only tech. details.

We have setup MC/SG between our Production and Develop/Test machine running our ERP system. The machines are not HW identical.

Both have physical connection to the same SAN and thus all disks.
If our Prod. machine halts, the Dev/Test machine automatically shutdown the Dev/Test ERP, mounts all Prod. file systems, and start up our Prod. ERP.
Take in consideration that the / is local and thus must contain consistency between the machines. This is described in handbooks/manuals, but must be in your mind all the time when doing changes.

We once had a crash (2yrs ago just before end of working hours)on our Prod. and the failover was up and running within 15 min. During the afternoon we got the dump and log files analysed by HP, and was able to retrieve necessary fixes. 9pm approx. 5 hours after crash we switched back to run on our Prod. again. Total downtime on ERP approx. 30min. where the last switch was announced.

We're also using MC/SG when doing maintenance on Prod. and thus keeping downtime for the ERP minimal.
I'm trying to become President of the state I'm in...