New Discussion юеВ

standby DB

Kirill Cherkashin
Frequent Advisor

standby DB

Hi everyone,
Is it possible to have standby DB
with different OS(TruUNIX 5.1 and
HP-UX 11i) and different Oracle versions(8.0.5 and 8i) ?

Kirill

5 REPLIES 5
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Re: standby DB

Hi,

you can have DB on Tru64 5.1 as well on hp 11i, but you can't have it standby. since the hardware for each OS is different.

If you have multiple disks on digital Alpha server and HP server then you can setup the database of required version with required OS version. Mirror the same to another harddisk. Break the mirror, if the primary disk/database fails then you can always boot in the standby disk.

I have the standby databases on AIX 4.3.3 machine with 2 disks, if one fails, switch over to second disk.
never give up
Stan_17
Valued Contributor

Kirill,

absolutely not. standby database should have the same OS/oracle release as your primary database.

stan
Christopher Caldwell
Honored Contributor

The two different hosts can't _share_ the database tables and disk storage (most folks concept of standby).

You _can_ periodically export from the production host and import on the standby host (though the two are different types of hardware) if that meets your business needs.
Kirill Cherkashin
Frequent Advisor

I was sure on 99.99% that it's impossible. ;-(
Anyway,thanks folks for your answers!

Kirill

p.s. I already set up DB export from Tru64 to HP-UX and it works just fine.
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi kirill,

For a physical standby (9iR1 and before) they must be 100% homogenous --
Software, hardware (Sun to Sun, could be Sun 4500 to Sun E450 but must be sun sparc to sun sparc for example), and OS. EE to EE and SE to SE.

For a LOGICAL standby (9iR2 and above), they are still homogenous although by using Oracle streams directly, you can achieve the same goal of a standby but use heterogenous hardware.

NB. Oracle Streams enables the sharing of data and events in a data stream, either within a database or from one database to another. The stream routes specified information to specified destinations. The result is a new feature that provides greater functionality and flexibility than traditional solutions for capturing and managing events, and sharing the events with other databases and applications. Streams allows customers to break the cycle of trading off one solution for another. Oracle Streams provides the capabilities needed to build and operate distributed enterprises and applications, data warehouses, and high availability solutions. You can use all the capabilities of Oracle Streams at the same time. If your needs change, you can implement a new capability of Streams without sacrificing existing capabilities.

Using Oracle Streams, you control what information is put into a stream, how the stream flows or is routed from database to database, what happens to events in the stream as they flow into each database, and how the stream terminates. By configuring specific capabilities of Streams, you can address specific requirements. Based on your specifications, Streams can capture and manage events in the database automatically, including, but not limited to, data manipulation language (DML) changes and data definition language (DDL) changes. You can also put user-defined events into a stream. Then, Streams can propagate the information to other databases or applications automatically. Again, based on your specifications, Streams can apply events at a destination database.

Hope this Helps!
Best Regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)