New Discussion юеВ

startup database

SOLVED
Go to solution
mahmoud khalefa
Advisor

startup database

Dear all;
my problem is that i cant startup my oracle database i have 3 DBs when start the server i can only startup one of them but the others didn't start if i reboot and startup a nother one it startup and the others also didn't start....
can you help me with that
7 REPLIES 7
Ross Zubritski
Trusted Contributor

Re: startup database

Are the databases defined in /etc/oratab?

Regards,

RZ

i.e.

blah blah instance:Y
blah blah instance:Y
blah blah instance:N

Y = start when oracle start script is executed.

Regards,

RZ

John Palmer
Honored Contributor
Solution

Have you checked the Oracle alert logs for any possible error. If this is a new system and you haven't tuned the kernel then it's very likely that you only have enough semaphores for one instance.

Regards,
John
John Jayaseelan
Super Advisor

Hi,

Check whether all the configuration (INIT.ora) files are available in the right place. Also check in the oracle alert files for any furhter information.

Thanks
John Jayaseelan
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

What kind of error do you get. As other mentioned, have you added the three databases along with their ORACLE_HOME directory and a "Y" flag in the oratab file. And if the entries exist in oratab, your oracle startup script will check for the SID name here and starts up when the system is brought up.

There could be any one of reasons.

1. If the entries do not exist in oratab then the oracle startup script will not bring the DB when the system is brought up.

2. Did you start up the DB manually and see if it works fine. If any problems, it should display on the screen. Check your alert_log for the databaes that did not start to see what the exact error is.

3. There should be enough memory to start the three databases depending on their SGA sizes.

Once we see what the error message is then we can try to work around it.

Never give up, Keep Trying
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

What kind of error do you get. As other mentioned, have you added the three databases along with their ORACLE_HOME directory and a "Y" flag in the oratab file. And if the entries exist in oratab, your oracle startup script will check for the SID name here and starts up when the system is brought up.

1. If the entries do not exist in oratab then the oracle startup script will not bring the DB when the system is brought up.

2. Did you start up the DB manually and see if it works fine. If any problems, it should display on the screen. Check your alert_log for the databaes that did not start to see what the exact error is.

3. There should be enough memory to start the three databases depending on their SGA sizes.

Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

4. Verify the pfile init.ora file is in the correct place and there is a symbolic link to ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory

Sunil Sharma_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Your problem is related to Kernel Fine Tuning and specially Semaphores(IPC parameters) which database is using for Inter process communications.

Youe query is giving a feeling that you are starting database manually so any database you will start first will come up cleanly and next databse may give some error like "end of communication channel" so just fine tune your system file and restart server your all databse will come up smoothely. optimal parameters you can get from Oracle documents.

Sunil
*** Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today ***