unable to start idle instance. ORA-03113 and ORA-12571

SOLVED
Go to solution
Claudio Cilloni
Honored Contributor

unable to start idle instance. ORA-03113 and ORA-12571

Hi all.

scenario: Oracle 8.1.6.3.0 running on HP-UX B.11.00

I got a problem. I made some mess while cloning an Oracle instance and now I cannot use the name of this messed instance.

I made this:

I need to clone a production instance, named 'pok', in a new instance named 'pok1'. This new name is mandatory.
I copied the datafiles (with 'pok' down), created the pwd file (in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs), added the 'pok1:/oracle:N' line in /etc/oratab, copied and corrected the initpok1.ora file, copied the redo log files, etc... etc... everything was fine.
I made a script to create the new control files starting from the output generated by the 'ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE' launched on 'pok', and correcting this output.
Then:

$ export ORACLE_SID=pok1
$ sqlplus /nolog
SQL> connect internal
SQL> startup nomount

then I started the create controlfile script; there was a typing error in it, so I decided to repeat the whole process; I deleted the control file that were generated, and after this I realized that there were some oracle pok1 processes. kill -9 on these.

Now every time I try to connect internal with ORACLE_SID=pok1 I get one of these two errors:

ORA-12571: TNS:packet writer failure
ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

Maybe my cloning technique isn't good... so I deleted any file related with 'pok1' and I repeated the whole cloning process to an instance named 'pok2'. Everything was fine; this new instance works great. But this doesn't solve my problem.

now:
$ export ORACLE_SID=pok1
$ sqlplus /nolog
SQL> connect internal
-----> ORA-03113 or ORA-12571

$ export ORACLE_SID=foo
$ sqlplus /nolog
SQL> connect internal
-----> Connected to an idle instance.

With any non-existent instance name other than 'pok1', connect internal works.

Searching the Net about these errors, I found that Oracle believes that the 'pok1' instance is still shutting down. Could it be possible? there are no 'pok1' processes!

what happened? what can I do?

thanks,
Claudio
5 REPLIES 5
Massimo Bianchi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: unable to start idle instance. ORA-03113 and ORA-12571

Hi,
9 out of 10 the problem lies in the kill -9,
because it didn't let the oracle process to clean the shared memory and the semaphores.

You should clean them manually, using the
ipcs -ma
and
ipcs -s

to identify and
ipcrm to clean.

Pay musy attention, because if you remove the segment belonging to productive instance, it will crash badly.

HTH,
Massimo
Massimo Bianchi
Honored Contributor

Hi,
also check in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs for the presence of lkpok1 files, and delete them.

Massimo

Massimo Bianchi
Honored Contributor

Hi,
also check in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs for the presence of lkpok1 files, maybe sgadefpok1 file, and delete them.

Massimo

Claudio Cilloni
Honored Contributor

Thanks, Massimo. I wasn't able to find what shared memory or semaphore delete, but you put me on the way to find the oracle command 'sysresv' that made this choice for me.

Ciao
Claudio
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

What messages you have in alert log of the database.
REvert