New Discussion юеВ

Re: upgrade from oracle 8.1.7 to oracle 9i

SOLVED
Go to solution
attilio_1
Frequent Advisor

upgrade from oracle 8.1.7 to oracle 9i

Hello
Soon we will be upgrading from Oracle 8.1.7.2 to 9.2.0.7 on HP-UX 11.00.
I think that the release is 9.2.0.1 and after apply some patch.
I don' know if is better upgrade oracle 8i to oracle 9i using the database upgrade assistant or to do a new installation and after the migration of all schema delete the installation of oracle 8i.
Can I know which problem could be in a upgrade on existent applications?
Is useful run InstallPrep.sh script in any case ?
Please send me link or details about setting and installing Oracle 9i

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Hi,
1. Check system for the required HPUX patches.
2. Install Oracle 9i sw + patches into a new ORACLE_HOME
3. Create a DB backup
4. Close Ora8 DB
5. Change environment to Ora9 ORACLE_SID, ORACLE_HOME, init.ora files etc
6. migrate your Ora8 DB to Ora9 (see the Oracle 9i Migration Guide)

Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Shalom,

You need to know if your data is 32 bit or 64 bit. There is a word size conversion process needed on the data if you wish to migrate to 64 bit Oracle.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
attilio_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Peter,

Please some detail about the phase 5. Change environment to Ora9 ORACLE_SID, ORACLE_HOME, init.ora files etc
For the environment you intend the .profile file of oracle user ?
I can use the same oracle user when I install and in the profile I have one ORACLE_SID but
I have trhee instances of oracle, when I upgrade oracle it change all instances ?
And about init.ora files which change are needed ?

Thanks
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Dartan,

Before the migration process,

Verify the applications are certified to run under the new RDMBS release.
Verify the certification of Oracle 9i on the OS version you are using.
Verify all necessary OS patches are installed.

It is very useful to run the script InstallPrep.sh.

A good full cold backup of the existing database, is necessary.

Upgrade path for Oracle 8i (8.1.7) to Oracle 9i release 2, is a direct path and you can directly upgrade your database to Oracle 9.2.

Oracle Enterprise Edition release 9.2 64-bit is certified on HP-UX 11.00

Refer to Note:159657.1 in Metalink for "Complete Upgrade Checklist for Manual Upgrades from 8.X / 9.0.1 to Oracle9i

You can also check the installation in metalink Note 169706.1

As Steven mentioned about the word size conversion, as Oracle 9i release 2 is 64-bit, and if your current database in 8.i.7 is in 32-bit then you need the word conversion. Refer to Refer to metalink Note:62290.1

Refer to Note 197737.1 for "Corruption / Internal Errors Possible after Upgrading a Database to Oracle 9.2.0.1"

Indira A
Never give up, Keep Trying
Gerardo Mora
Advisor

Hi,
Just a comment, after apply patch to 9.2.0.7 version, you need to apply the most recent Oracle interim Patch.

https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/f?p=130:14:10576498718088699447::::p14_database_id,p14_docid,p14_show_header,p14_show_help,p14_black_frame,p14_font:NOT,189489.1,1,0,1,helvetica
share to learn
Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor

Dartan,

You have alot of good responses, but I want to throw my two cents in.

If you have the ability to do an export/import migration of the database, I would probably recommend that route. It gives you the ability to create the database as a true 9i database, so the SYSTEM tablespace is LMT, and the tablespaces will be created LMT as well (if they aren't right now). Also, it gives a "clean" database, so there isn't any of the previous Oracle stuff floating around in the SYSTEM tablespace.

The biggest problem I see with that is simply the time involved in doing it, since you have to have the database unavailable to the users through the export and import. On a large database, this can take a while, and isn't always worth the additional downtime.

If you decide to do the migration, I would strongly recommend using the 'dbua' migration assistant, rather than doing the manual process. I have done a number of upgrades using it, and haven't had any problems that I can remember.

Hope this helps,

Brian
attilio_1
Frequent Advisor

Hello Brian,

Sorry but I am not an expert ,I have a doubt
Do you mean export of users schema, not full export ?

Thanks

Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor

Coming from a DBA side, I mean a full export of the database. Individual user schema exports are ok, but they do require creating the users on the new database before you can import them, and you have to recreate the roles and privileges for the users as well. A full export should grab all of those users/roles/privileges, and load them all into the new database.

Again, personal preference, but a full export should make sure that everything that you need to load onto the new database is there, so that there isn't any oversight. If you are concerned about the "extra" users (OUTLN, DBSNMP, etc) or the SYSTEM objects, the tables/views/etc that are loaded are generally ones that do not affect the running of the database, or are user generated in that schema.

Brian
attilio_1
Frequent Advisor

So if I make a full export of a oracle 8.1.7 relelase and after a full import on the oracle 9.2.0 , it doesn't any problem also on system table and object ?
There isn't different architecture ?

Thanks