108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

/usr/dt/bin/rpc.ttdbserver

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jay Cantwell
Regular Advisor

/usr/dt/bin/rpc.ttdbserver

what is the purpose of this rpc.ttdbserver...and is this required for anything else to run at system startup ???

I am trying to move some files from one vg to
another, and this is on the vg I want to get rid of....also it uses the directory TT_DB and is on several vg groups thoughout the system...

any insight/help would be appreciated...thanks

Jay
3 REPLIES 3
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: /usr/dt/bin/rpc.ttdbserver

Jay:

From document #BHERRKBRC00002437:

ToolTalk is a Sun product for network data interchange. More recently (1992), several companies formed a consortium to develop what has become CDE, or the Common Desktop Environment, which uses ToolTalk.

It can be disabled by removing or commenting out the entry for rpc.ttdbserver in /etc/inetd.conf, then restarting inetd. You need to Kill rpc.ttdbserver then remove files in */TT_DB/*(i.e., /home/TT_DB/*, /usr/TT_DB/* )

Have all users log out of CDE. Login (command line) as root and follow these steps.

1) Stop the tooltalk daemon.

# ps -ef | grep ttdb --> kill the PID of this process

2) Edit /etc/inetd.conf, and comment out the line for rpc.ttdbserver. There will only be one line that contains a reference to rpc.ttdbserver; simply insert a '#' before the line, and save the /etc/inetd.conf file. So the line in /etc/inetd.conf would look something like:

# rpc stream tcp swait root /usr/dt/bin/rpc.ttdbserver 100083 1 /usr/dt/bin/rpc.tt dbserver

3) Delete all ToolTalk Databases on the system.

4) Restart the inetd daemon. #inetd -c

...JRF...
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Jay:

The line in /etc/inetd.conf should look like:

# rpc stream tcp swait root /usr/dt/bin/rpc.ttdbserver \ 100083 1 /usr/dt/bin/rpc.tt dbserver

...JRF...
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor
Solution