108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: /var filling up

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tim Votta`
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the help. As it turns out, I had to remove something quickly because I was at 100%.
I rm an old file /var/adm/sw/PHSS_14405.depot (38 MB)

Currently I have 96% of /var available. I have read up on the cleanup command and it sounds like a good move for my situaiton. As I read it using the command with no switches would remove superseded patches.

Are there any gotcha's I should be aware of if I run this?

Also since I already removed a .depot file do you think this would cause a problem. I do have a backup of the .depot file.

Thanks for your feedback.
Here fishie fishie fishie
Helen French
Honored Contributor

There will not be any issues if you run the cleanup command. Read the man pages before you start this command and decide which level you want to keep your patches. You will get necessary free space after running this.

Removing patch.depot file from the /var/adm/sw directory is NOT recommended! I would do a cleanup command first and then if safe, remove any unwanted patches with 'swremove' command. Did you check the following possibilities too ?

1) /var/adm/crash
2) system, mail log files
3) wtmp, utmp
4) stm logs
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

Hi Tim

Dpeot removal is not a good way to regain sapce , as you must be having space after eh depot was installed . I would follow the following path :

1. cleanup ( no problems ot gotchas ).
2. /var/tmp
3. /var/mail
4. cat > wtmp
4 all logs like stm , adm/sulog syslog , spool etc.

You may like to look at this document too :

http://www.netrunner.nu/~rogers/system_administration/Principles_of_system_administration.pdf
Angus Crome
Honored Contributor

If you use Omniback for tape backups, you should check /var/opt/omni/log on that system. It may be running in a heavier debug mode than normal and filling up space quickly. If you don't use Omniback, then please disregard.

The above statement is more for future searchers.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't - Author Unknown