4586 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: x11

simon_82
Advisor

x11

hi

I am running Reflections version 6.0 and have expoerted my display as followed :

export DISPLAY=ip address:0.0

When i run /usr/bin/X11/xhost + i get the following message can any one advise as i want to run the veritas gui to check information.

/usr/bin/X11/xhost: unable to open display "ip address:0.0"

Regards
Simon
9 REPLIES 9
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

so can you resolve the ip_address from both the PC and the unix system by means of the nslookup command ?

under what are you exporting the DISPLAY ... ie is this under a Reflections Xsession or via a straght telnet session ?
Massimo Bianchi
Honored Contributor

Hi,
is your reflection started before the command?

are there all the routes O.K. ?
do you ping properly your PC from the server ?
Is there a firewall between ?

Massimo

V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi Simon,

try
export DISPLAY=ip_address:0.0

Volkmar
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

netstat -an | grep ip_address

also try
xhost +

rather than xhost +
just in case there is a problem there.

make sure you can nslookup and ping rxpc
where rxpc is in ip address and hostname.

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
simon_82
Advisor

Hi Guys

Yeah one of the first things i did was export my display.
1. display is exported
2. i can ping from server to PC
3. i can ping from PC to server

When i do a echo $DISPLAY the info shows
ip adress:0.0 so i know thats ok.

i can not see any other faults

regards
simon_82
Advisor

also i can do a nslookup to PC ok.
Ollie R
Respected Contributor

Hi Simon,

Seems to be a bit of confusion here...

You say you're running Reflection. If you are trying to run the X-session to your local PC you will need ReflectionX on your PC, not Reflection. The ReflectionX must also be running to allow the display of X-sessions.

The "xhost" command is used to open up a UNIX system to allow the displaying of an X-session, so this is irrelevant if you're trying to run the X-session display on your PC.

In summary, what you need to do is:

1) Start Reflection-X on your PC
2) "export DISPLAY=:0" on your UNIX system
3) Run the program on your UNIX system

Cheers!
To err is human but to not award points is unforgivable
John Meissner
Esteemed Contributor

in addition to reflections you will also need an X display sistem on the machine your are exporting your DISPLAY to. Exceed is one such program but costs $$$. There are free X session programs out there. Check www.downloads.com for them.
All paths lead to destiny
Chris Vail
Honored Contributor

Methinks you confused a bit. Where you wrote "export DISPLAY=ip address:0.0" you need to know and use the actual ip address of your workstation. You didn't indicate which version of Windows you were using, but you'll need to get this information from the "Networking" section of the "Controls and Setting" or "Control Panel" menu for your windows desktop. This will be in the form of 4 numbers in the form XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX (however, any of these XXX's can also be a 1 or 2 digit number, each number will be between 0 and 255). Examples: 172.21.132.15, 10.0.19.32, 192.143.144.19, 201.210.114.14, etc..
If, however, your workstation has a name (such as "Elvis" or "Tarpon" or "Chevy") and this information is readily available, you can use THAT instead of the ip address. To confirm, again find out what the name of your workstation is, and then ensure that the Unix box has it. You can type "nslookup elvis" from the # or $ prompt, and if the system returns with a 4 digit number as above, you can use that instead. In that case, the command would then be "export DISPLAY=elvis:.0.0".

Chris

Chris