Digital Transformation
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 New Perspectives: Part 1 - Service Virtualization and Big Data for IT Operations

RafaelBrugnini

Last month saw us host one of our two annual customer conferences, HP Discover, in Las Vegas. The trappings of Vegas do not appeal to me but I love the energy of Discover and always come away having ‘discovered’ something to change my way of thinking. This year did not disappoint; I didn’t play the tables – but some pennies certainly dropped!

The chemistry created when our software product team presents alongside a passionate customer describing the value of the solution to their business is incredible.  Hearing first-hand a customer’s journey form the value promised by an HP Software solution to the value realized  always brings new perspectives . And suddenly the penny drops!

My highlights?  Seen through the lens of the customers - four significant themes really stuck out for me and my next two posts will focus on why I believe these ideas are on the verge of mainstream adoption.

Penny Dropper No.1 – Service Virtualization breaks down new barrier for application delivery

HP20121026222 Reduced Size.jpg

For many years, we have been helping IT leaders respond to business demands for applications and services whilst accelerating time to market and delivering a consistent high quality of service.  We have helped them with the transition to mobile, with the integration of cloud services and as the agile development methodology entered the mainstream. Unfortunately, despite increasing levels of automation elsewhere a common problem persisted - access to an environment that reflects either aspects of, or the final end-to-end production environment.  

That’s why it was great hear to about how our customers are using Service Virtualization 3.0 to remove the wait times and testing constraints of the real world. By providing teams with simulated access to unavailable services in a virtual environment, it eliminates the need to access business-critical infrastructure in restricted periods, such as mainframes, or rely on pay-per-use cloud components during test cycles.  Equally, as a result of modern Agile development activities, some services may still be under construction and testing can continue whilst the development of these new services is completed. The way I think of it is as an application “production line”, now able to flow more continuously with regular testing throughout to ensure costly errors are captured early and end user experience is assured.

This was reinforced strongly at Discover by TTNET, Turkey’s largest internet provider. It described how Service Virtualization had helped it to reduce test wait time by 100 per cent, saving the company over $60,000 a month. Learn more about our work with TTNET in this video.

Penny Dropper No.2 – At last, IT capitalizes on its own big data!

Another highly visible theme of Discover was big data. With my own background in telecommunications, I have been very aware of one of the more traditional applications of big data analytics to address customer churn. Up until now we have seen limited focus on IT’s own big data problem. That is all about to change.

As IT infrastructure and applications grow increasingly complex, the traditional approach to IT management is being challenged. With more and more intelligence embedded in hardware and software to monitor quality of service and availability, the data generated by these systems is growing exponentially. This is the big data opportunity for IT professionals.

In the past, analyzing machine data required precise identification of the data to be measured, metering and measuring it. Only then could these limited measurements be reported back, by which point the data had often become useless or outdated.

With the launch of HP Operations Analytics, the first in a family of HAVEn solutions, IT can now leverage its own big data. It provides actionable intelligence about service health by consolidating IT data - including machine data, logs, events, topologies, and performance statistics. By making it possible to collect, store and analyze operational data, HP Operations Analytics lets you analyze all of your important information to diagnose problems and determine root cause.

In particular, the visualization of these analytics accelerates the rate at which information is found to fix issues. Many of our existing security customers using ArcSight Logger were particularly excited about the opportunity, having successfully applied the same approach to security logs and now seeing the potential to expand to IT operations.

My next post will cover two more themes which I saw customers passionately talking about at Discover – Server Automation Virtual Appliance and HP Anywhere. In the meantime why not share your own lessons from Discover or tech trend predictions below?

...Part 2

Related links

Follow Rafa on Twitter @RafaelBrugnini

0 Kudos
About the Author

RafaelBrugnini

Rafael Brugnini (Rafa) joined HP in 1996 and has more than 20 years of knowledge and experience in the IT industry. He lives in Madrid with family, and in his spare time he enjoys windsurfing.

Labels
Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
HPE at Worldwide IT Conferences and Events -  2017
Learn about IT conferences and events  where Hewlett Packard Enterprise has a presence
Read more