Digital Transformation
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Do You Effectively Measure Your Business Value?

MylesS

Nice post. I would have loved to have seen the business model canvas. With this said, I think it is always important to start with business strategy and resultant IT goals as a mechansim to inform you of what is important. I agree that many times this will result in either unique metrics and KPIs or changing KPI goal levels.

0 Kudos
About the Author

MylesS

Mr. Suer is a senior manager for IT Performance Management. Prior to this role, Mr. Suer headed IT Performance Management Analytics Product Management including IT Financial Management and Executive Scorecard.

Comments
MylesS

Nice post. I would have loved to have seen the business model canvas. With this said, I think it is always important to start with business strategy and resultant IT goals as a mechansim to inform you of what is important. I agree that many times this will result in either unique metrics and KPIs or changing KPI goal levels.

mikejwalker

Hi Myles,

Great feedback and yes I agree. I'm surprised I didn't have my standard disclaimer on this one. That was a miss on my side. 

The Business Model Canvas on addresses "What" your business is not "Why" it is doing it. The "Why" comes directly from strategy.

The first guiding principle that I should of elaborated on more, "Connect Metrics with Strategy – Understand your business, distill the value drivers and apply the right measures to those. Remember, metrics are subjective, concentrate on the overall goals of the organization to properly leverage." touches on this a little bit.

Always start with the strategy to guide the organization on what is important. This will rationalize into what it is and then into how it will achieve its goals and objectives.

Thanks again Myles!

Labels
Events
June 6 - 8, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Discover 2017 Las Vegas
Join us for HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas. The event will be held at the Venetian | Palazzo from June 6-8, 2017.
Read more
Each Month in 2017
Software Expert Days - 2017
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Da...
Read more