Digital Transformation
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Fix these 2 things for service management that moves at the speed of cloud

George Whales

Thanks Dave, great post

I think the most important point is the speed at which Change can be executed. I think one of the issues is how an organization defines cloud. If we talk about cloud in the context of near real time provisioning of service, like CSA for example, then we are dealing with pre-defined services and therefore we could, arguably, have pre-defined and automated approvals.  Where an organization may have outsourced an entire service to a 3rd party cloud provider then it’s probably only the higher level changes you become interested in, low level change is the responsibility of the service provider. The CAB as we’ve all come to know it is still relevant when fragments of a service are cloud based, potentially with different providers, and need to be used as building blocks to construct a service. Put another way, when de-constructing a service from the top down you see multiple providers (internal/external/private/public) then what does the change process look like. It’s here the two fixes become highly relevant, especially who needs to be in the CAB and what sort of turnaround is expected.

The good news: ITIL was designed to empower true end-2-end service and some 20 years after its inception cloud now provides the technology opportunity to achieve this vision. It’s not ITIL that slows us down only the way we use it. They key to success is understand what the customer needs, for IT that means know what the business demands are. If IT can’t fulfill the business demand in an acceptable time frame then the business may well bypass IT altogether and procure service direct from cloud making the change process and potentially service management irrelevant, and that to me spells long term disaster.

0 Kudos
About the Author

George Whales

Comments
George Whales

Thanks Dave, great post

I think the most important point is the speed at which Change can be executed. I think one of the issues is how an organization defines cloud. If we talk about cloud in the context of near real time provisioning of service, like CSA for example, then we are dealing with pre-defined services and therefore we could, arguably, have pre-defined and automated approvals.  Where an organization may have outsourced an entire service to a 3rd party cloud provider then it’s probably only the higher level changes you become interested in, low level change is the responsibility of the service provider. The CAB as we’ve all come to know it is still relevant when fragments of a service are cloud based, potentially with different providers, and need to be used as building blocks to construct a service. Put another way, when de-constructing a service from the top down you see multiple providers (internal/external/private/public) then what does the change process look like. It’s here the two fixes become highly relevant, especially who needs to be in the CAB and what sort of turnaround is expected.

The good news: ITIL was designed to empower true end-2-end service and some 20 years after its inception cloud now provides the technology opportunity to achieve this vision. It’s not ITIL that slows us down only the way we use it. They key to success is understand what the customer needs, for IT that means know what the business demands are. If IT can’t fulfill the business demand in an acceptable time frame then the business may well bypass IT altogether and procure service direct from cloud making the change process and potentially service management irrelevant, and that to me spells long term disaster.

Labels
Events
June 6 - 8, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Discover 2017 Las Vegas
Join us for HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas. The event will be held at the Venetian | Palazzo from June 6-8, 2017.
Read more
Each Month in 2017
Software Expert Days - 2017
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Da...
Read more