Digital Transformation
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Homework for the successful IT Leader—finding and putting disruptive technology to work

JudyRedman

Joel,  this post struck a chord with me.  After reading it, I sat down and sent a thank you card to my first corporate mentor who taght me a simple rule:  "Do you staff work."  I thanked my good friend for his wise lesson that has served me well in my career.  When you do your homework or staff work, you  not only make better decisions but you also gain the respect of your peers. 

Thanks for sharing your expertise in this forum.

~JR

0 Kudos
About the Author

JudyRedman

Judy Redman has been writing about all areas of technology for more than 20 years.

Comments
JudyRedman

Joel,  this post struck a chord with me.  After reading it, I sat down and sent a thank you card to my first corporate mentor who taght me a simple rule:  "Do you staff work."  I thanked my good friend for his wise lesson that has served me well in my career.  When you do your homework or staff work, you  not only make better decisions but you also gain the respect of your peers. 

Thanks for sharing your expertise in this forum.

~JR

JoshuaBrusse

Hi Joel...thanks for this very good blog! I personally related to the "read with an open mind" and "think like an entrepreneur"...very often I have seen this standing in the way to do things different. Innovation - I was told once - is the combination of existing things to make something new...so the two things ("read with an open mind" and "think like an entrepreneur") are then exactly what you need.

I like to add one thing: detachment!

Many people are too attached to how things are and what they do, the norms and values they have, the concepts they believe in, the opinions they have (like that part where you write about all the objection thrown in the air when you suggested to check out the iPAD) illusions that distract them etc...it ofcourse is relates to what you said (about the reading and the thinking) but it goes one step further: forming…in other words not only think different but also feel and do different. And that requires personal change!

jdobbs

Thanks Judy and Joshua for your comments.

Judy, I’m glad to hear that you are a card writer.  For years I have kept a box of cards with my name embossed on them in my desk for the purpose of writing simple thank you’s to folks who have helped me or done a job well.  Never underestimate the power of a hand written thank you note.

Joshua, you are exactly right.  People become comfortable and thus “attached” to certain routines.  One of the first steps in initiating any change is to create a clear and understandable case for the change.  This is frequently referred to as a “burning platform.” Too often this vital step is missed.

Regards,

Joel

CV

Joel, in your mind, is discovering new technologies the role of the CIO or the role of the CTO? I have seen it going both ways in accounts. I've also seen companies where the siloed structure of the IT department hindered the embracing of new technologies as these often cross organizational boundaries, so isn't there, also a need to establish a spirit of enterpreneurship and collaboration in the whole department? Any thoughts?

jdobbs

I actually believe that discovering new technologies is everyone's job.  In this day and age I would expect everyone to keep an open mind about potentially valuable technologies.  Obviously, organizations need a process to properly evaluate those that are deemed worth further evaluation and it is here that I believe the CIO and/or CTO should always have an active role. Most CIO & CTO position descriptions will contain a statement about identifying and recommending new technologies but they shouldn't do it alone.

Joel

LindaMerrill

I am happy to say there are several leaders doing a great job with addressing the needs of students in poverty in a more sustainable way. Many leaders understand what comes with media attention and choose to have quiet successes on their journey to school improvement. If you want to get the truth of what is happening in a district, I recommend people ask leaders the right questions, review the school data (academics, college remediation and persistence data, etc.), visit when the cameras or newspapers are not around, and ask the students and staff what is really going on for they are the keepers of the truth. There are predatory leaders who are nice to the right people so they can market for them and horrible to most. Unless you have actually worked with any of the leaders the media highlights, I would not get too excited about the reports.

Best,

Linda from Your Homework Help

Labels
Events
June 6 - 8, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Discover 2017 Las Vegas
Join us for HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas. The event will be held at the Venetian | Palazzo from June 6-8, 2017.
Read more
Each Month in 2017
Software Expert Days - 2017
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Da...
Read more