Digital Transformation
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you determine the best fit for cloud services? Find out at Discover 2016

louiseng

HP20150331162 (1).jpg

As more of my enterprise customers take on the role of providing cloud services, they’re grappling with the need to determine what the best fit is for a particular workload. Whether they’re brokering services to internal lines of business or to external clients, organizations need to figure out how best to meet the requirements of their service users (I’ll be speaking about this at Discover in the session, “How to become an internal service provider with cloud services brokerage). To paraphrase Cinderella, if the foot doesn’t fit the slipper, it doesn’t matter how lovely that slipper is—it won’t deliver the right experience.

Making a decision to provision

The way to reach these decisions is to ask a number of questions:

• Where should a workload live? Is it okay to run it in the public cloud, or will that cause compliance problems?
  • Who is the right supplier? Answering this entails asking a number of additional questions:
  • Does the service provider have the right database model?
  • Do they have the appropriate monitoring tools in place?
  • Do they have the ability to comply with the required policies, such as regulatory constraints or licensing issues?
  • How do we know that we have the right service level in place?
  • Are we providing the appropriate level of security? Have you asked about embedding security policies in the orchestration layer before you provision the environment?
  • Does the cost of the service support an ability to offer a competitive price to the consumer?
  • What is the end-to-end service lifecycle? Will the supplier provide enough transparency so that you can even see the end-to-end service behaviors?

Answering these questions can help you realize a number of benefits, including increased agility and the ability to know and manage the true cost of service delivery. You also mitigate the risk of vulnerabilities, as well as the risk of being out of compliance with policies and regulations.

At HPE Software Services, we’ve developed “decision-to-provision” logic that we can orchestrate to help you decide how best to provision your services. I’ll be providing more details on this logic at Discover 2016 in Las Vegas, during my discussion forum “How to become an internal service provider with cloud services brokerage.”

The role of a reference architecture                                                        

As their cloud services become more mature, many of my enterprise customers—especially in the South Pacific and Europe—are looking to leverage their IT infrastructure investment by brokering excess capacity as cloud resources. Telecommunications firms and financial institutions in particular are working to differentiate their delivery of cloud services to become more competitive and generate new revenue streams.

Many of these organizations are using a reference architecture to define and deliver their services. By mapping to the four IT value chains of the Open Group IT4IT Reference Architecture, they’re able to increase their agility and innovation:

• Service to portfolio IT value chain: Determine what the portfolio of services should be.
  • Requirements to deploy IT value chain: Figure out what the requirements are for each service.
  • Request to fulfill IT value chain: As part of the service fulfillment plan, consider deployment, usage, billing, chargeback, and approvals.
  • Detect to correct IT value chain: As part of service treatment, determine the service monitoring requirements, to ensure overall service health.

To learn more about how you can use the IT4IT reference architecture and decision-to-provision logic to provision your cloud services for optimum results, join me at my Discover 2016 session, “How to become an internal service provider with cloud services brokerage.” I’m looking forward to hearing how you’re using service suppliers, and how we can help you decide what the best choice is. Or, stop by DEMO410 Cloud Model Office to see this solution in action.

Louise Ng has more than 25 years of experience in multiple IT positions across a variety of industries. Today she is the WW CTO for cloud and automation services at HPE, specializing in leading large-scale projects that deliver quality services through operational optimization. Follow her on Twitter at @LouiseNgHP or connect with her on LinkedIn.

Related links:

0 Kudos
About the Author

louiseng

WW CTO Cloud and Automation, HPE Software Professional Services

Labels
Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
See posts for dates
HPE Webinars - 2017
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more