cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hybrid service delivery with HP and IT4IT—find your blueprint at HP Discover

BI_Guest

HP20140804617.jpg

By Erik van Busschbach

Today, IT needs to operate in two modes. Analyst firm Gartner calls this new operating model bimodal IT. Others call it two-speed IT. The terminology is less important than the idea that IT needs to excel in two areas simultaneously. It needs to deliver the security, stability, compliance, and cost-effectiveness of traditional, core IT functions. And at the same time it needs to function as an innovation engine for the business, providing the capabilities of fluid IT.

For many IT organizations, excelling at one mode is challenging enough. To evolve so that you can deliver both requires a specific blueprint.

This is where the Open Group IT4IT reference architecture comes in. (I’ll be presenting on how IT4IT can help accelerate the adoption of cloud services brokerage at HP Discover Vegas 2015.) IT4IT prescribes the functions and data model of an end-to-end value chain. So if you’re a CIO or IT leader, you can look to IT4IT for a blueprint of the fundamental functions and information that you need to manage your entire IT service lifecycle.

A blueprint for managing enterprise IT

IT4IT is prescriptive, so the reference architecture tells you how you should manage IT. This makes it different from well-known standards like ITIL or COBIT, which suggest best practices and are focused on processes. (You can learn more about what makes IT4IT so powerful at the HP Software Professional Services IT4IT Consulting Services page.)

IT4IT directs you away from process-centric thinking to a service-centric mindset. Service-centric means that the organization is focused around delivering value to the people who are paying for your services. The lines of business or your end users don’t care how you get there, they care about the end result.

Process-centric thinking keeps people siloed in how they do their work and in what they deliver. The problem is thinking, “I’m the network guy or I’m the database guy.” No, it’s not about networks or databases, it’s about booking flights or making mobile payments. IT4IT forces you to think end-to-end about the services you deliver and focus on the value.

3 steps to value

IT4IT gives you a blueprint. But if you’re building a house, simply having the blueprint is not enough. That’s why HP Software Professional Services has created a series of workshops and services using I4IT as a foundation. To become a service-centric IT organization focused on delivering value, you need to transform in three key areas:

• Service broker: Transform from in-house development to multi-sourced hybrid delivery
  • DevOps: Transform from optimized silos to collaborative closed-loop development
  • Cloud: Transform from static private stacks to dynamically allocated standard services

I’ll be talking more about how to achieve hybrid service delivery in my session at HP Discover: 3 steps to accelerate adoption of cloud services brokerage using IT4IT.  We also have Transformation Workshops and new model office demos to help you with the transformation using IT4IT.

You can also check out my session on linking strategy and execution in IT. Too often these domains don’t overlap. But there is a way to make fact-based decisions on enterprise portfolios. Join me to find out more.

Erik headshot.JPGErik van Busschbach is a CTO in the HP Software Professional Services Strategy and Solutions team with 15 years in IT enterprise software development and delivery. With experience across the entire software value delivery chain he knows what it takes to turn strategy into results. Follow Erik on Twitter at @ErikBusschbach.

Related links:

0 Kudos
About the Author

BI_Guest

Labels
Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
See posts for dates
HPE Webinars - 2017
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more